Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if there is any stock Harley seat that is comfortable that will fit a 2012 Ultra Classic Electra Glide???

·
American
30,421 Posts
Dealers have a program that allows you to try out seats. Try some, each is different. I tried them all. Even a Mustang seat. Returned it after trying it out from Dennis Kirk.

Reactions: Oclaf

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
I have never thought any of my stock Harley seats were comfortable. My buddy, who is a long distance rider has never put an aftermarket seat on a bike of his. So, like suggested above try seats at the dealership (look until you find a dealer that has them if none local).

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
When it comes to a motorcycle seat, comfort is in the brown eye of the beholder. Otherwise what works for one might not work for others. Best bet is probably aftermarket.

·
Registered
43,190 Posts
I've only bought 2 aftermarket seats. First for my FXR in about 90 or so, and second one back in May. Both seats were worlds better than the stockers for long distance comfort.

I was a masochist on my NightTrain and bought a second stock seat when the first one developed a crack from age.

Reactions: tommytailspin

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
I've had a mustang seat that mustang altered for me on an old FLHT that was very comfortable. I find most Corbin's comfortable for me, but some seat you back an inch or so. Recently had mean city cycles rework my stock seat to lower and make narrower with better padding, so far so good.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I liked the stock ultra classic seat. Purchased a Corbin for another bike- hard as a rock and took me a few months to get used to it. I still love the plushness of the ultras seat better.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
I had my stock ultra-seat modified by mean city cycles. Lowered it a bit and added better padding. I did however tweak it a bit after a year of using, added more gel padding myself. Easy to do only staples hold it together.

·
Viet Nam 69/70
2,513 Posts
The easiest and cheapest solution is wax paper...

·
Registered
148 Posts
Had a sundowner on my first Harley, loved the seat, hated the bike. Now that I went aftermarket, cant go back.
Second Harley a Saddleman cafe seat.
Last Harley (this one) a Saddlemen 2 up seat. Will never own another seat.

·
Registered
12,140 Posts
As was said, seats are very "individualistic" and one rider's dream might be another rider's nightmare. And it can be expensive finding the right seat for you. Also as mentioned, HD has a program to allow you to try out some of their seats. We have two Harley dealers here in Louisville, one participates in the demo seat program and one doesn't. Over the years I have bought two Corbin seats. I was pleased with their seats, but...., I will never ever buy anything from Corbin again due to a bad experience when I ordered a Corbin seat for a '13 Harley I had just ordered. They didn't have it in stock, would take maybe 2 months to build. OK, dealer said it would be 3 or so months before my new bike was in. Long story not so long got the bike but no seat. Corbin wouldn't respond to my emails that I know they got cause I replied on their original email to me. Wouldn't answer their phone for a couple of days. Finally started answering their phone again and I got lies and more lies. One of their excuses was that they had been shutdown for 3 days cause everything in their building had to be inventoried. What kind of company would shut down like that without at least providing a recording for incoming calls? Oh, and they have used that same BS with others over a period of time. Push went to shove and I was about to tell them to stick it and refund my cc or I would contact the cc company and demand they refund me and charge back to Corbin due to fraud/theft/mishandling of the whole thing, etc. and they said they had just gotten my seat and it was shipping that afternoon. So, I got it. But I will never buy from them again. Rant over.

·
Former Lurker
3,977 Posts
Expensive, but the Mustang Super tour I bought is night and day better than the stock seat that was on my 19 RGS. IMO

·
Registered
252 Posts
Since I live In Indiana, I just had my seat redone by Astech Seats up in Marion. Gel with memory foam.
They want to know your weight, inseam, and what your problem with the stock seat.
they Mod your seat to you. Call and set up an appointment, might be able to wait on it. Thats what I did.
Set around and talked to the guys, they have been in around for 18 years, If you have a problem with the Mod, They fix it.
You want a different cover, they do it also. They also build seats for a lot of different company's
Have not tried it out yet, had a shoulder replacement in November, still in PT. But the stock seat, I was good for about 2 hours before the burn started.. Will check back when the weather isnt 21 and I can reach the handle bars!!!!!! I also have a Hammock seat before I had the stock seat redone. The answer they gave me on the Mod's they do on a hammock shocked me on what they do to it

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just bought a 2020 RG (facebook marketplace). Have a 2014 Heritage also. The Heritage is SOO much more comfortable than the RG!! WHAT'S UP! Shocks are too stiff and seat is UGH on the RG. So I have to spend another $ 1,000 ++ to try and match the Heritage. BTW, bought a Saddleman seat used and trying to re-sell it! Next step....Harley dealer try-outs!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Since I live In Indiana, I just had my seat redone by Astech Seats up in Marion. Gel with memory foam.
They want to know your weight, inseam, and what your problem with the stock seat.
they Mod your seat to you. Call and set up an appointment, might be able to wait on it. Thats what I did.
Set around and talked to the guys, they have been in around for 18 years, If you have a problem with the Mod, They fix it.
You want a different cover, they do it also. They also build seats for a lot of different company's
Have not tried it out yet, had a shoulder replacement in November, still in PT. But the stock seat, I was good for about 2 hours before the burn started.. Will check back when the weather isnt 21 and I can reach the handle bars!!!!!! I also have a Hammock seat before I had the stock seat redone. The answer they gave me on the Mod's they do on a hammock shocked me on what they do to it
We had both seats modified by Astech last year based on weight and measurements. Unfortunately there was no difference whatsoever. They did offer to make more adjustments for us based on feedback which I appreciated and they were very nice people. It was a boring 3 hour drive, so at that point I cut my losses and ordered the Danny Gray Airhawk seat. We had great luck using Airhawk pads on our stock seat in the past, and the Danny Gray delivered that same experience. Haven't looked back from there and still have the Astech modified seat just sitting there in the garage. Their reviews overall seem great, though and I'm sure our experience was an outlier.

I do a lot of long distance/endurance riding and have been through many different seats and configurations. The Danny Gray Airhawk Long Haul XL is by far our favorite. We've put about 20,000 miles on it in the last 6 months and it continues wearing in nicely.

·
American
30,421 Posts
My experience with them was horrid. But that’s just me. But they did refund my money.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Dont sound good for the home team. If I can get more then 2 hours ? we`ll see. seat mods are like shock selections. everyones different. I like the postion of the stock seat but it felt like I was sitting on the frame rails. I can reach the handle bars now, but not long. Told my PT Feb 27 I will ride. Had my other shoulder replaced a year ago, and that was the date of the first ride after surgery, hopefully I will have better luck on my seat

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
A seat that feels soft when you sit on it will not feel that way 4 hours later. The gel pad inserts are nice, except they will let you know the difference between summer and winter as they will bake you or freeze you for the first 10 minutes or so. Shape and firmness is everything, a motorcycle seat is a tough thing to get right, it needs to let you put your feet on the ground, it needs to let you sit on it for hours without causing pressure points on your bottom or low back, It needs to keep you off the fuel tank and not let you slide to far aft. If your local dealer has the seat tryout program, make use of it, and really try them all.

·
Registered
49 Posts
A seat that feels soft when you sit on it will not feel that way 4 hours later. The gel pad inserts are nice, except they will let you know the difference between summer and winter as they will bake you or freeze you for the first 10 minutes or so. Shape and firmness is everything, a motorcycle seat is a tough thing to get right, it needs to let you put your feet on the ground, it needs to let you sit on it for hours without causing pressure points on your bottom or low back, It needs to keep you off the fuel tank and not let you slide to far aft. If your local dealer has the seat tryout program, make use of it, and really try them all.
You make some great points. Soft definitely doesn't always translate to comfortable long distance riding. Kinda like a mattress, sometimes more firm sleeps better in the long run.

Also, I had a gel pad in a seat a while back. It does fry your butt in the summer. I had to cover it when parked.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts