Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are other threads out there asking for seat recommendations. Believe me, I've read through them all and have done plenty of Google searches as well. But most people who recommend a seat either are a lot taller than me or don't say how tall they are.

Soooo.... I have an 2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited. I am 5'7 and a little over 200 pounds (yeah, I could stand to lose some tonnage) with a 29" inseam.

I had my bike lowered when I bought it, so I could be flat footed. That worked well. I also had the seat modified by MCC a few months later. They put memory foam in the seat, took out some foam, and trimmed down the edges a little bit. That let me not only be flat footed, but let me bend my knees a bit. The MCC modified seat was better than the stock seat, but I still find on those 400+ mile days, my butt-bone hurts and I really get squirmy in the seat.

If anybody who is roughly the same height and weight (short and fat, I guess) and solved their problem, please let me know which seat you bought. I've looked up reviews on the Road Zeppelin, which sounds great, but I think it'll sit me up too high. I also have looked at the H-D Hammock and the Sundowner, and they seem to have pretty good reviews.

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Well, I'm not short, I'm 6'2", and I'm riding a retired police bike with the air ride seat. BUTT, about the "squirmy" thing... I found that heat was a big issue with me, and my comfort. I recently took the advice of a friend, and bought a bead rider cover... the one made out of wooden beads. This has improved my overall comfort, heat-wise to the point that I can ride til I need gas, about 180-200 miles, and get off the bike with the only thing wrong is a little knee and hip joint stiffness. The squirminess is gone... and the seat doesn't feel any worse than riding in the car makes me feel. If I had a rider backrest, I might be able to go all day long. I've taken a couple of 360 mile runs on it with minimal discomfort. The second run I started out in 105 degree temps that dropped all the way to about 102 by the time I finished. My butt felt fine. The rest of me felt like I'd been sitting in a high-powered heater, but no seat discomfort.
Just a thought....

·
Registered
926 Posts
I'm 5'8" and around 180. Put the sundowner on my Streetglide half way through a 2800 mile trip. It sat me up a bit higher but that was cured by wearing a taller soled boot. Before the seat I was squirming after about an hour in the seat. After I had no problems. The first day out on the return trip I put 650 miles on with no argument from the back side.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Asylum Inmate
12,735 Posts
Through an airhawk large cruiser pad on it. You will love it.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Bought a MUSTANG Vintage Wide for my 14 RK, and I could not reach the ground properly with a 29" inseam.

So I had it cut down and now very comfortable and can reach the ground. Buying seats are a PIA!

·
"MacHine"
379 Posts
I am 5'6" and over 200 lbs and use the Hammock seat on my road glide ultra. When I switched to the hammock, it splayed my legs, which shortened my reach to the ground. Although I do not have any issues at speed, I do get nervous when turning and going slow. Also not that MCC can't reshape the hammock. But, I do love the seat on those 400 mile rides.

·
Yea, real tough guy.
194 Posts
Have a 2011 Ultra Limited with stock seat. Ordered a sheepskin seat cover from www.sheepskinfactory.com. Cost me $79.00. Rode from Sturgis to Virginia in 3 days (600 mile days). Could have gone another couple hundred more. (FYI: I'm almost 5' 9", weight about 220, about a 29-30 inseam. Recommend you give this a try first. Worst case is you buy a new seat and have a great cover for it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Dirty Member
1,142 Posts
I bought a gel pad and as I start to get tired of my position, I raise up and move the pad around and it gives me a completely different feel
+1 on the gel seat pad idea. Also install a backrest. It will keep you more upright which will keep your weight more evenly distributed and keep you from getting a sore back, sore tail bone and really helps to keep from getting the dreaded Dead Ass.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.