Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Wayward Son
23,318 Posts
Honestly.....never gave my bikes seats being stolen a second thought.

·
Registered
11,995 Posts

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
Not sure, but I thought Corbin offered a key locking attachment. Other than that, I would research some type of tamper-resistant fastener or bolt with an unusual driver head. Maybe the Torx with the pin in the socket. You can also have a security cable made up of aircraft type cable (small gauge) and thread it though the seat pan and through the frame under the seat to enable using a padlock. Plenty of room under the seat to tuck things away.

Just have to think it out.

--

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
Honestly.....never gave my bikes seats being stolen a second thought.
Depends on where you live and ride. Members have posted all types of theft here.

--

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,472 Posts
I honestly can't think of an instance of a seat being stolen unless the rest of the bike went with it.

·
Banned
2,466 Posts
I haven't been worried about it, but maybe an allen head bolt would slow them down. I did this when lic. plates were getting stolen at work. Mine never got hit.

·
Wayward Son
23,318 Posts
I honestly can't think of an instance of a seat being stolen unless the rest of the bike went with it.
Do`t recall any either. Saddlebags, their contents. Had my tool pouch cleaned out once.
Got my first HD in 84.
Been through big and little towns. Parked in all sorts of places. Worse thing ever happened to my seat was I found a rose on it.

By all means, if someone feels the need to secure their seat, then secure it.

·
Registered
11,056 Posts
I am planning on getting a Corbin two-up seat with backrest. Other than getting some security screws, any suggestions on keeping it from getting stolen? What works?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Do you know whether or not the Corbin seat you want has the lock on it? If it does, you may not have a problem. I've had 3 Harleys and put Corbin seats on all 3. The Corbin seats for my Sportster and Fat Bob didn't come with locks but the Corbin seat for my RGC has a lock.

·
Registered
11,995 Posts
Use these on my license plates.

Tamper-Resistant Button-Head Socket Cap Screws find them on McMaster Carr

Difficult to remove without special tools, use these screws in public spaces to add safety and security. Length is measured from under the head. These screws are not recommended for high-strength fastening.

18-8 stainless steel screws have a minimum Rockwell hardness of B70 and a minimum tensile strength of 70,000 psi.

Black-oxide alloy steel screws have a minimum Rockwell hardness of C38 and a minimum tensile strength of 135,000 psi.

Pin-in-Torx—Use with tamper-resistant Torx drivers and bits. Thread fit is Class 3A.

Pin-in-Hex—Use with tamper-resistant hex drivers and bits. Thread fit is Class 3A.

High Security—Have a unique drive that is sold only by McMaster-Carr. Thread fit is Class 2A. Use with the driver bits sold separately.

For technical drawings and 3-D models, click on a part number.For technical drawings and 3-D models, click on a part number.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
Good work, Billy! Those are exactly what I was thinking of. I'll probably get those for my bags also. Easier to just replace stolen contents than bags and contents.

--

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you know whether or not the Corbin seat you want has the lock on it? If it does, you may not have a problem. I've had 3 Harleys and put Corbin seats on all 3. The Corbin seats for my Sportster and Fat Bob didn't come with locks but the Corbin seat for my RGC has a lock.

Yes, I checked. The model I would get for my Wideglide does not have a lock.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
just dont park in in or around the bay area in cali. for that matter not around cali at all fugging thief's here are crazy. so far im lucky they dont mess with my scoot, most of the time it gets parked where i can see it or i dont park. ill put a cap in there arse if i catch them and my boot too.

·
Registered
11,995 Posts
Good work, Billy! Those are exactly what I was thinking of. I'll probably get those for my bags also. Easier to just replace stolen contents than bags and contents.

--
Thanks, Don't forget the special torx to remove them/install. Then put it away so you can find it again :thumbsup:)

·
Outlaw Nipple Poster
2,872 Posts
If someone wants something off your scoot, they're going to get it. You can deter a bit, but they'll still get it.

Ronnie

·
Registered
11,056 Posts
If someone wants something off your scoot, they're going to get it. You can deter a bit, but they'll still get it.

Ronnie
But if you can deter and cause them a delay, hopefully they will go on to an easier target. At least that is the hope.

And it's a shame it has to be this way, but it is. There are errands I would rather run on my bike rather than in my cage, but if the errand isn't to a place where I can park with a reasonable degree of safety and/or keep an eye on it, I'll take the cage.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts