Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
HowardH
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my Dyna used. It has Iso grips on the handlebar. The left, clutch side grip is slipping around. I checked on Kuryakin website for the installation instructions and read that a glue is used for initial installation. Does anyone know what type of glue or have a recommendation?

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
I run Iso grips. I'm not fond of gluing grips. You can use double-sided tape, which works well, similar to installing golf club grips. Or just wrap the bar with electrical tape to get a tighter fit, then wet the inside of the grip when pushing it on. I also cut the end off a zip tie and put the strap part inside the channel of the switch housing to provide a clamp fit on the flange of the Iso grip. Immobilizes the grip but allows easy disassembly when needed.

--

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts
One thing to check. The Iso grips are a pre assembled 2 piece.
The part you grip. The the part in contact with the bar.
Look to see at which point the grip is slipping.
Have Iso`s on mine. The clutch side outer shell rotates. Doubt I will do anything about it.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I have always used Contact Cement with good success. You can remove the grip later on using some heat from a hair dryer or heat gun if you need to remove them

·
HowardH
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all. In my day (25 year gap to last bike and I worked in a dealership and installed hundreds) all that was available was all rubber grips. Some were installed with or without glue. And you could always grab a razor and slice them off. I was hesitant to use glue while wondering if it would ever come off if needed. Gorilla glue and super glue strike me as a problem if needed to remove. As for wrapping the bar with some tape, I'll give that a try but seems to me there is not enough inside diameter to fit over the tape or get pushed as I'm try to push on, if not gathering up at the switch. I'll try the contact cement as a last resort.

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts
The double sided tape actually sounds like a good idea.
A single wrap. No overlap. Doubt you would need to go full length of the grip with it.
Use sort of a circular motion so the edge of the grip is started on over the tape a little at a time. Then tap it on. Palm of you hand. Maybe a rubber or dead blow hammer if it is too tight by hand.
Perhaps Silverback will fill in any little tricks he has found.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
The double sided tape actually sounds like a good idea.
A single wrap. No overlap. Doubt you would need to go full length of the grip with it.
Use sort of a circular motion so the edge of the grip is started on over the tape a little at a time. Then tap it on. Palm of you hand. Maybe a rubber or dead blow hammer if it is too tight by hand.
Perhaps Silverback will fill in any little tricks he has found.

If you use double sided masking tape, you may have to wrap a double layer. If you start the "tail" of the tape over the end of the bar, you don't have to worry about the grip pushing the tape and bunching up. I found that my Iso grips were pretty loose on my Wild 1 Chubbies. Then drizzle a little lighter fluid on the taped bar, which will liquefy the adhesive of the tape and allow you to easily slip the grip onto the bar and twist it to your desired position. Leave it undisturbed for 5-10 minutes to allow the adhesive to set up firm.

That said, I installed mine by wrapping electrical tape on the bar to get a press fit. I then just used a little silicone spray to allow me to push the grip into place. I eliminated any twist by locking it into place by cutting a piece of zip tie to slightly less than the circumference of the flange part of the Iso grip that fits into the switch housing. When you clamp the switch housing halves onto that grip flange, it clamps tightly down on it and the grip does not twist.

I used a lot of words to describe what is really a very simple fix, but I don't have any pictures, so....

--

Reactions: howardh

·
Registered
42,150 Posts
One picture is worth 1000 words....

You only gave us 193. :(

Reactions: Silverback

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
I just re-read the post, and since I still have over 800 words left...

I should clarify that you need to cut off the head of the zip tie. You're just using a piece of the strap part as a shim inside the groove of the switch housing that fits over the circular flange of the grip.

--

1 - 13 of 13 Posts