Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question which has puzzled me for some time now. How come Harley's don't have individually cut keys for your bike. In other words, my key will start any other Harley, and open their bags and gas tank to boot. What's up with that? They sell you a security system which prevents the bike from starting, but an individual key for the bike would make more sense. Sounds like another way for them to make money to me. I don't think it's particularly safe.
In addition, because of the key situation, I purchased Lojack for my bike. Well, that's a waste. I still haven't gotten it to work properly and even when I do, the lag time between the time your bike disappears and the time you get the "early" warning (whatever that means) is 15-30 minutes on average. A bike is long gone by then. Anybody have any ideas on why Harley doesn't cut individual keys for their bikes like everyone else? Thanks.

:goob

·
Road Glide
348 Posts
As far as I know any key will open a bagger gas flap but that's where it ends. All European models come with the factory security and alarm.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Being new to Harley-Davidson, that's news to me. I wasn't aware that the barrel keys are cut the same...I'll have to check into that.
JD

·
Registered
30 Posts
i have cut many harley keys over the last 35 years and can tell you that all keys are not alike .. that said you could probably special order a group (say the police) that were keyed alike.
the gas flap is the only common keyed lock

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
apologies. I must have misunderstood. However, in this day and age, when gas is getting ready to spike again (eventually), it would seem prudent that even that key is individually keyed. Not to mention if you tick someone off who might put something besides gas into your tank. Thanks for the clarification. Stay safe.

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
apologies. I must have misunderstood. However, in this day and age, when gas is getting ready to spike again (eventually), it would seem prudent that even that key is individually keyed. Not to mention if you tick someone off who might put something besides gas into your tank. Thanks for the clarification. Stay safe.
It used to come in handy when you was out riding and left your key at home then maybe your buddy brought his key and you could still fill your tank. Not so much with the security fob attached any more.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a question which has puzzled me for some time now. How come Harley's don't have individually cut keys for your bike. In other words, my key will start any other Harley, and open their bags and gas tank to boot. What's up with that? They sell you a security system which prevents the bike from starting, but an individual key for the bike would make more sense. Sounds like another way for them to make money to me. I don't think it's particularly safe.
In addition, because of the key situation, I purchased Lojack for my bike. Well, that's a waste. I still haven't gotten it to work properly and even when I do, the lag time between the time your bike disappears and the time you get the "early" warning (whatever that means) is 15-30 minutes on average. A bike is long gone by then. Anybody have any ideas on why Harley doesn't cut individual keys for their bikes like everyone else? Thanks.

:goob
My '09 RK utilizes a barrel key. I have tired it on several other bikes and it will not work, nor theirs on mine. As far as LoJack tracking, I checked into the system and found in the good ole USA, there are large portions of the country they have no coverage at all. Then some law enforcement agencies don't recognize the company. Just my .02 worth.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I worked at a Harley dealership for about a year in '07, and I can tell you that the barrel keys are NOT all the same. What has been said about the gas flap on the baggers is true - those are made so that any barrel key will open them, the logic being just what was said. Also true is the part about the new self-arming security system pretty much negating that. But as for the keys themselves, one key will not open any lock except the one for which it was cut.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just to add a little more on this subject... I was told by my dealer that ANY barrel key would open the gas cap I know that is false ....only other Harley Barrels will work that I can say...I have tried barrels from another vehicle and no go.

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
I switched my gas cap cover for the pushbutton style - no chance of accidentally losing keys at a gas stop and takes a step out of the process.

I remember how during the '70's gas crisis Dad spent many nights with a BB gun, sitting by the living room window in the dark, watching for gas thieves. Getting caught with a hose in your car could earn you a beating by the neighborhood cops.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
I remember how during the '70's gas crisis Dad spent many nights with a BB gun, sitting by the living room window in the dark, watching for gas thieves. Getting caught with a hose in your car could earn you a beating by the neighborhood cops.
Back then, you also got $6-7 for battery core. You could open car hoods from the outside. We went to a farmer's market and when we came out, the car wouldn't start. Here the battery was gone.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts