Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 198 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No, I'm not trying to be a putz. I'm genuinely curious as to why you think Harley Davidson motorcycles are the bomb.

Don't get me wrong. I bought my first HD last August and I LOVE it! But I had 5 crotch rockets before this and if anyone asked me "what's so great about crotch rockets" I would have said things like....
1.Crazy awesome power to weight ratio.
2. Phenomenal handling
3. Phenomenal braking
4. Damn sexy
5. Incredible mpg

Having said that the things I love about my HD are....
1. Relaxing ride
2. I don't worry about dying every time I ride
3. The sound

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
I love the sound, the history, the heritage, the look, the parts interchangabilty and the fact that it's a USA made vehicle since 1903. Indian is since 1901 and had it's share of hard times as well, and it's good to see them back on their game.

But either you like Keds or you like Converse. I'm a Chuck's fan..........

·
Registered
926 Posts
No, I'm not trying to be a putz. I'm genuinely curious as to why you think Harley Davidson motorcycles are the bomb.

Don't get me wrong. I bought my first HD last August and I LOVE it! But I had 5 crotch rockets before this and if anyone asked me "what's so great about crotch rockets" I would have said things like....

1.Crazy awesome power to weight ratio.

2. Phenomenal handling

3. Phenomenal braking

4. Damn sexy

5. Incredible mpg

Having said that the things I love about my HD are....

1. Relaxing ride

2. I don't worry about dying every time I ride

3. The sound

You forgot to add damn sexy to the HD list.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
OTL
610 Posts
They call to me...and other brand models do the same. It's complex, and purely subjective. One girl can look like a double bagger to one guy, and a babe to another.:)

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
The look, the sound, the feel, they're not plastic and the customizing factor. That's some of the main things. I really have nothing against crotch rockets or metric bikes in general, but Harleys are just a whole different world altogether, if you know what I mean and I'm sure you do after riding your BO for a while. I've been fascinated by them since I was a kid and have always wanted one. I've had Yamahas, Kawasakis, and whatnot but they just aren't the same. I have a few riding buddys that have metric cruisers and that's fine, but they almost to a one have said they would love to have a Harley. Like they say, it's not just a hobby, it's a lifestyle. My 2 pennies.

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts
You ride one, yet you ask? :dunno
I can honestly say I have never heard another Harley Rider ask that.
I always went with the old saying. "If you have to ask. You would`t understand".

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
I love the sound, the history, the heritage, the look, the parts interchangabilty and the fact that it's a USA made vehicle since 1903.
YESS!!!!!!!

I have wanted a HARLEY since I was 12.

Look thru the New to Community section.....dreams coming true almost every day. Ask anybody if they have ever felt that connection/want for anything else, short of losing their virginity, and I highly doubt you will get that many responses with the SAME answer...

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
I always went with the old saying. "If you have to ask. You would`t understand".

:thumbsup:thumbsup

·
Registered
347 Posts
Might make a good research project to go to the library and list all the books you find on the topic of Harley Davidson and compare it to the list you make on the topic of Kawasaki or XXX or ZZZ. Perhaps whats special about your Harley Davidson will be revealed as you read all the books.

I work offshore with many nationalities. A stark example of the "Harley" cachet is shown when, for instance, Auzzie's and POMEs who are generally into the current "bash America" fad, trash the brand for its poor cornering ability only to fall madly in love with their Harleys when they actually get their arses on one. Harley Davidson is a better Ambassador for what makes America exceptional than Mr Kerry will ever be. "Not just another pretty bike" .

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
Could be the OP now finally understands, but is just looking for help to express what we all feel.

And sometimes, words just don't make that possible.

For me, it's not the "lifestyle" (could care less about that); It's the machine itself--and how each one seems to develop its own individual personality. They seem to have the rare quality of an inanimate object developing an almost lifelike quality of its own.

Like I said, words don't work.

--

·
Lost in Space
6,859 Posts
YESS!!!!!!!

I have wanted a HARLEY since I was 12.

Look thru the New to Community section.....dreams coming true almost every day. Ask anybody if they have ever felt that connection/want for anything else, short of losing their virginity, and I highly doubt you will get that many responses with the SAME answer...
Same here, we used to have a club that hung out at a welding shop about 1/2 mile from our house when I was 8. The guy always in the lead was riding some raked out chopper, so we called him chopper john. When they would go past we would get on our Stingrays and peddle after them. Pissed my mom off to no end. They would wave at us smile and go on their way. Glad I finally got to live out one of my dreams.

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts
Same here, we used to have a club that hung out at a welding shop about 1/2 mile from our house when I was 8. The guy always in the lead was riding some raked out chopper, so we called him chopper john. When they would go past we would get on our Stingrays and peddle after them. Pissed my mom off to no end. They would wave at us smile and go on their way. Glad I finally got to live out one of my dreams.
Sort of the same.
I might have been 5 or 6. Was at a shopping mall with my folks. Group of leather clad Bikers taking a break on the benches. An Old Grey Beard locked eyes with me. Will never forget those eyes. Scared me at that age, yet I know then, and now it was not intended to. I was hooked and had`t even seen a bike.
Because of an accident at age 3 I basically grew up with one leg. Was always told I would never be able to ride.
Do`t ever tell me I can`t do something.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts

I mowed my neighbor's lawn, from the age of 9 and up, till he moved. He was the Secretary, for the local chapter of the XXXXXXXX. Cool cat, always had a porch full of buddies, sucking down beer's, working on their bikes, music playing. They were always great to me, and I loved how the bikes sounded.

I always pictured my little KD100 was a Hog....at the age of 12 I was invited to hang out with them, sitting on the porch......hooked. Got my first ride on a Harley, and it has gnawed at my soul from that day.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
For me, it's not the "lifestyle" (could care less about that);

--
Not saying this was in response to what I said, but what I mean by 'lifestyle' is that it's what you want to do as much as possible every day you can, not so much as wearing the clothes and acting like a 'biker'. Actually closer to what you are describing. I've had a couple and they seem to have different personalities that you connect with and becomes an extension of you. It becomes your lifestyle. But, yeah, words can't really describe it and I usually end up sounding like a nut when I try. :cheers

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
Not saying this was in response to what I said, but what I mean by 'lifestyle' is that it's what you want to do as much as possible every day you can, not so much as wearing the clothes and acting like a 'biker'. Actually closer to what you are describing. I've had a couple and they seem to have different personalities that you connect with and becomes an extension of you. It becomes your lifestyle. But, yeah, words can't really describe it and I usually end up sounding like a nut when I try. :cheers

:cheers

--

·
Registered
946 Posts
One thing about Harley's is that there are so many ways to customize them to make them YOURS. It is too bad that the blank canvas costs so much but that is the way it is.
Most of us have had metric bikes at some point but somehow the Harley always calls us back. I know they don't corner as well as some or accelerate as fast but that really doesn't matter. When the wife and I want to put on miles and REALLY enjoy the WHOLE ride we jump on the Harley. if I want to scrape pegs and do Mach 1 then there is the ZX14R to play with but when on that bike I don't think that I enjoy the whole experience as much as when I am on the Glide.
Also as to the people that ride Harley's look around and you will see them doing rides to raise money for Veterans,to simply salute Veterans, to raise money for kids etc, Do you see BMW riders doing that, I think not.
Not everyone on a Harley is a bad ass but a bunch of them think the same way, People should be held responsible for their actions, respect others once it has been earned and are prepared to make their own way in the world.
Ride Safe
Ride Long

·
Registered
11,808 Posts
My Dad got me a rebuilt 1948 Harley 125 when I was 14 for riding around the neighborhood. Over the years had a couple of Hondas and bought a new '68 Triumph Bonnieville. Then my working hours and financial situation kept me off of bikes for many years. In 2009 at age 62 I wanted another bike. Could have bought any damn bike I wanted and I wanted a Harley so I got one. Loved it! Of course after a while I wanted a bigger one, so forth and so on. Now on my 3rd, a '13 Roadglide and she is a keeper! To me, the Harley styling is the most important factor. The Harley sound, Harley heritage, and comfort for those long rides are also important. I hope to get a lot more years of riding in and if I ever do get rid of my Roadie it will only be for another Harley. Nothing against all the other brands but they just aren't for me. In my mind nothing is prettier than a nicely appointed HD rolling down the road.

·
Viet Nam 69/70
2,290 Posts
Was looking at Wings and a couple other shaft drives 30+ years ago. Swore I'd never buy a cheap ass belt drive bike if they were not smart enough to put a shaft drive fix the leaks and parts falling off.

Never did buy a street or road bike until 4 years ago was riding my brothers Heritage and it was awesome, the power, the handling, the ability to switch out the windshield, and many other nice things especially the seating position.

I own 2 today, an 05 Heritage with carb and an 08 CVO Ultra. Would not trade them or sell them for anything but another HD.

My HD's have personalities.

1 - 20 of 198 Posts