Harley Davidson Forums banner
181 - 198 of 198 Posts

·
OTL
610 Posts
Harleys are so lame that you have a choice of forums...just to WRITE about them. :thumb

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,950 Posts
It plays on wording and "processing" parts and the bike in the us. Most parts made in China, the new motors made in bawal. You can have a bike mostly built anywhere bring it to the us and manipulated to get the made in the us sticker. Nothing like getting a part from harley and it is stramped made in China lol.

When Honda had their plant in the us technically they met the standards to have that as well.

In the end it really don't matter to me either way. More funny to watch ppl get bent lol.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Bent? I'm not bent about anything... I'm not the one who feels they have to throw around false accusations about Harley's.. On a Harley forum...

I'm not going to Indian, Victory, or Polaris forums and telling people there quads and motorcycles and more jap than American... So really, who is the one who is bent? I think you and I both know the answer.

I simply choose to state the FACTS so that anyone who may read this in the future can make a well informed decision on what they are buying or how they feel about something, not the random grumblings of unproven hearsay.

As for the Honda thing why can't they have an American made motorcycle? Not sure how that really plays in to this conversation at all...

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Try'n to behave
6,280 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
I'll tell you one thing I love about my road king:

Network.

I can go to almost ANY state in the US and being generous narrow it down to any country and there's either an HD shop or an indy there to supply me with parts or work in an emergency. I haven't been to a bunch of states but allow me to just rattle off here...

I live in Midlothian, Tx so Dallas and Grand Prairie are the closest dealers to me.

Indiana, Prince's Lakes there a dealer about 45 mins from there.

Disney World in Florida, no joke...dealers all on the way including about four in/around Orlando.

Raleigh NC, has one smack in the middle.

Branson, Missouri...do I really have to?

Datil, NM. Actually don't remember any there because I was sick and didn't feel good on the trip.

That's not counting indy shops. It makes me smile every time I think about it though. While I personally love the look of the Vaquero by Kawasaki, there just isn't enough readily available emergency support if something happens.

Worst case scenario is I'm stuck overnight while Harley fixes whatever happened.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
What dooshbag gets a "Yamaha" or "Kawasaki" tattoo.........

Ducati maybe......Vincent maybe.

I have Indian and HD. No need for other brands.

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,335 Posts
What dooshbag gets a "Yamaha" or "Kawasaki" tattoo.........

Ducati maybe......Vincent maybe.

I have Indian and HD. No need for other brands.

I've never considered that before. Now upon "hearing" it, I find the concept outrageously funny.

Very well put Dave. I wholeheartedly agree.

·
Registered
2014 Harley Davidson XL1200X Sportster 48 w/ Stage 1
3 Posts
Harley Davidson isn't just a "brand". It's more than that. Harley Davidson became rooted in Americana during and after WWII. Indian wasn't as prevelant here because the built and primarily supplied the allies with their bikes. Harley supplied primarily our troops so this is the bike that by chance got the head start in the states. Some Harleys went to Europe but most stayed with US forces. It was the icon of freedom to free-spirited troops returning home that still needed to be unrestrained and to satisfy that need for "risk" that becomes so ingrained in a soldiers daily lives.

Fast forward a few years after some clubs consisting of soldiers, flyboys and others had already been formed around the old iron horse Harley and its legend had already been established as a "bad-boys" bike. Sort of an anti-culture icon had been born from the machine. Add to that the fact that Japanese bikes hadn't been born yet and the disdain for Japanese products would take decades to overcome and Harley had a head start that would propel it into a solid lead.

Now comes the hippy age. Harley again leads the pack as a symbol of freedom and carefree lifestyle as hippies took to the road. The bikes changed into their next iconoic evolution with the chopper and again was a mainstasy with the hippie culture, which again was anti-mainstream and anti-culture. Movies like Easyrider teased the very essence of the free-spirited and planted the seed even deeped in American culture.

Cut to today. The name Harley Davidson isn't just a brand. It's MUCH more than that. It's history. It's spirit. It's a legend made so by the generations of care free, freedom loving people that created history sitting in its saddle. No other bike can make a claim to fame as being so deeply rooted in American culture as can Harley. Because of this, it has a magnetism. Many people want a piece of what America is.

What is it about a Harley Davidson ? You decide.

Military Mission: 1942 Indian Model 741 - Motorcycle Classics | Exciting and evocative articles and photographs of the most brilliant, unusual and popular motorcycles ever made!

·
Registered
12,955 Posts
Anyone hear from Dave63 ??

Reactions: scspartan

·
Registered
42,152 Posts
Nope

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Harley Davidson isn't just a "brand". It's more than that. Harley Davidson became rooted in Americana during and after WWII. Indian wasn't as prevelant here because the built and primarily supplied the allies with their bikes. Harley supplied primarily our troops so this is the bike that by chance got the head start in the states. Some Harleys went to Europe but most stayed with US forces. It was the icon of freedom to free-spirited troops returning home that still needed to be unrestrained and to satisfy that need for "risk" that becomes so ingrained in a soldiers daily lives.

Fast forward a few years after some clubs consisting of soldiers, flyboys and others had already been formed around the old iron horse Harley and its legend had already been established as a "bad-boys" bike. Sort of an anti-culture icon had been born from the machine. Add to that the fact that Japanese bikes hadn't been born yet and the disdain for Japanese products would take decades to overcome and Harley had a head start that would propel it into a solid lead.

Now comes the hippy age. Harley again leads the pack as a symbol of freedom and carefree lifestyle as hippies took to the road. The bikes changed into their next iconoic evolution with the chopper and again was a mainstasy with the hippie culture, which again was anti-mainstream and anti-culture. Movies like Easyrider teased the very essence of the free-spirited and planted the seed even deeped in American culture.

Cut to today. The name Harley Davidson isn't just a brand. It's MUCH more than that. It's history. It's spirit. It's a legend made so by the generations of care free, freedom loving people that created history sitting in its saddle. No other bike can make a claim to fame as being so deeply rooted in American culture as can Harley. Because of this, it has a magnetism. Many people want a piece of what America is.

What is it about a Harley Davidson ? You decide.

Military Mission: 1942 Indian Model 741 - Motorcycle Classics | Exciting and evocative articles and photographs of the most brilliant, unusual and popular motorcycles ever made!
Nice write up. But...., your history and your legacy won't get you far in today's world. IMHO, shareholders are ONLY concerned with making money. Nothing wrong with making money. But if you fail at "customer satisfaction" your history and legacy won't save your ass.

·
Registered
2014 Harley Davidson XL1200X Sportster 48 w/ Stage 1
3 Posts
Very true Joe. And that "legacy" is fading. It won't be around forever and maybe that's what the OP is fell victim to, the fade. But, for many of us, it is the legacy, the cool, the potato, potato, potato and owning a part of Americana.

·
old scoot coot
4,885 Posts
Nice write up. But...., your history and your legacy won't get you far in today's world. IMHO, shareholders are ONLY concerned with making money. Nothing wrong with making money. But if you fail at "customer satisfaction" your history and legacy won't save your ass.
it did during the amf days. probably wouldn't ever again. todays buyers are looking for best buy for the money, indian, victory, honda have been some fierce competition.

181 - 198 of 198 Posts