Harley Davidson Forums banner
141 - 160 of 198 Posts

·
Señor Member
19,803 Posts
Just so I understand, you now prefer metric(?).
Did you by chance check the name of this forum before signing up? Just asking. :dunno
That's what I was thinking, T-S. To each their own. No hate, but why waste time on a Harley forum if it's not your kitty?

·
Registered
12,955 Posts

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,950 Posts
Back at ya. By the way, I met some folks down in Baton Rouge 'bout 10 years ago that showed me one of the best times in my whole life. Oh man, we partied. And ate. GOOOOOOD TIME.
You're one of the coolest people I know LilJo! I would be proud to ride all day with ya!

·
Señor Member
19,803 Posts

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,950 Posts
I never understood the need to criticize someone else's choices and their rides. Some guys like fat chicks, some like skinny chicks, some like 'em mean and some like 'em nice. It's what you like that matters.

In the end of the day, I don't care what you ride, I don't even care if you don't ride. If you are a righteous dude, I'll hang with you. Good natured ribbing is one thing, hell I catch lots of crap for driving a smart, but I like the car and couldn't care less that you don't, but if you are a jackass, I'll take off when I realize it. Life is too short for that crap.

The object in life is not to arrive in a pristine, well preserved body; rather it is to skid in sideways, a drink in one hand screaming "Woo Hoo, that was one HELL of a ride!"
I fee your pain. I drive a v6 explorer and get absolute hell for it from all of my friends but it is all good natured (except for one friend I wonder sometime which has me hanging out with him less) but that being said I would love a v8 pickup.. But I just can't justify it now and I love my little explorer so I don't really care what others say.

·
Señor Member
19,803 Posts
I fee your pain. I drive a v6 explorer and get absolute hell for it from all of my friends but it is all good natured (except for one friend I wonder sometime which has me hanging out with him less) but that being said I would love a v8 pickup.. But I just can't justify it now and I love my little explorer so I don't really care what others say.

:thumb

·
Registered
4 Posts
Harley Davidsons are customized to the personality of the owner it becomes a part of who they are it's not a ride its a lifestyle. Go to an HD gathering and you'll understand. I also have ridden and raced all the others and yes there fun but there just a ride. My first bike a 55 PAN

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have been riding Harley's, on and off, since 1980. Are they the best? Depends on what "best" means. I keep coming back to Harley mostly because it's an American company. But, I have been hearing lately that most of the bikes that are made now are foreign, Chinese engines, Mexican harnesses, etc.. I read that 60%+ of the modern Harley is made outside of the US. My old Harleys are of USA origin. I wont say that my next bike will be HD.

I put a clutch and springs and some other internal parts on my Buddies Suzuki last night. I rode it and frankly, was pretty amazed at how well it rides compared to the last five Harley's I have owned. It's way faster, handles better and stops better. It doesn't sound very good to my ear and it doesn't look as good as a Harley to my eye. The engineering is better on the Suzuki but the craftsmanship isn't as good as Harley. Harley is fantastic for craftsmanship compared to most bikes.

One thing I have noticed about Harley is that if you get one and don't molest it too much it can last a literal lifetime. But, if you get all hung up on having the fastest, latest and greatest you'll be pushing a boulder up hill your whole life. The strong suit of Harley, in my view, is that they tend to be somewhat overbuilt. Even an old Harley is worth repairing and spending some money and effort on. A big twin Harley delivers a really great riding experience for a lot of people.

The older I get the less warm fuzzy I feel about the MoCo. I preferred the old dealerships even though they would have killed the brand eventually, I guess. The new dealerships are so standardized that they seem to lack the genuine feel that has been the success of the marketing push for a long time. But, apparently it works so, I get that I'm a dinosaur and out of touch.

I do think that in the long run Indian and Victory are going to give HD some serious competition. Mainly because if you truly want American made, if that matters, then Indian and Victory are better choices. My buddy is a semi-big wig with Volvo international. He was explaining the global economy to me and I get it. I just feel rebelious about it. He says that Harley is limited on how big they can grow unless they go multinational in every way. Don't have any manufacturing in China, can't sell bikes there, etc..

Anyway, this is a bottomless pit of discussion. I ride with some guys that pretty much hate everything about HD. I ride with some folks who have all things HD including the advertisement tattooed on their bodies.
i hate to disagree with you but the engines are made in milwaukee at the pilgram raod plant along with most of the parts EST casts alot of the cases and covers Grafton WI fiberglass parts manufacturtured in Tomahawk WI frames fenders tankes made from raw steel on automated machines at the York PA plant I'm an OEM for Harley and I don't see much coming from out of the country

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
. . . I'm an OEM for Harley and I don't see much coming from out of the country
It seems like about any electronic part I've bought is labeled as made overseas somewhere, and plastic parts like lenses, trim rings and such seem to be as well.

It doesn't matter that much to me that H-D outsources stuff to foreign manufacturers. While I appreciate and respect the "Buy American" sentiment, I understand that there is a different reality when it comes to economics.

I just want the MoCo to continue to build a quality product that holds true to their style and tradition.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have rode a few crotch rockets and have never felt like owning one. If your not a harley rider switch which ever throttle you twist have fun and ride safe.:bikerguy:

·
Registered
22 Posts
For me I started on a Honda magna 750, decent bike but that's what it was, a bike. I have had two Harleys now and I can say that for me they are a extension of me and my personality. When I really get into a good long ride you become one with the bike and the road,you feel the machine.

Maybe this doesn't make sense, but for me it does.

·
Registered
74 Posts
It took me 40 years to be at a place in life where I could have a new Harley; all things being equal (you provide for your family, don't sell drugs, etc) to me there is something different and BETTER about owning the iconic American motorcycle. I know people disagree, but I don't care (and this is the HD forum).

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have not read the whole 16 pages of this, but I figured I would drop my 2 cents since I recently switched to the HD world. I have about 10 years on the back of a bike. I have had several different metric cruisers and my wife has had a couple too. I just feel it is a different strokes for different folks kind of thing. I decided to go with HD this time because I wanted a touring bike (first one) and out of the dealers close by the only one I was able to test ride of was the HD. I can't compare the difference between the Voyager, Royal Star,... bikes because I have never ridden them. As for the plain cruisers, I have never had one that I have just loved, just something different I have loved about each one. For example, I loved the RAW TORQUE my Vulcan 2000 Classic I had, but it handled like a bear, shallow lean angle, and ATE TIRES. But it was the bike you wanted if you needed to recover a ditched car or pull stumps. What I love about the limited I just purchased is all the creature comforts, smooth ride, better for a passenger (made the wife happy with this one) and better handling. Oh and did I mention unlike the metric world you can test ride and HD. lol

·
Nocturnal Ancestor
6,788 Posts
I only own one cause I need to, if the option was there I'd be on a victory
I'm confused... What is stopping you from owning a vic?
Certain clubs have bike requirements ;)
They do to, maybe you could ask for a exception in your case, explain that the only reason you have a Harley is for their rules and would prefer to be on a victory and if they don't agree... join a different club and enjoy your right to express yerself!!

141 - 160 of 198 Posts