Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I've got an 07 I bought used and it came with the stage I tune, SERT, K&N Air filter and Rush slipons. I put Roadburner true duals on it in September and it's running rich now. I took it to HD for a new dyno tune and the first thing they asked for was the "tuning module". What the hell are they asking for, I didn't get anything like that from the dealer I bought the bike from in Tennessee.
Do I need to purchase a new SERT?
Is the SERT piggy-backed on the existing computer?
Can I remove the SERT and put something else like a Power Commander on it?
Since I didn't put the SERT on I have no idea how to remove it!

·
Nitrous Rules
31 Posts
Okay, I've got an 07 I bought used and it came with the stage I tune, SERT, K&N Air filter and Rush slipons. I put Roadburner true duals on it in September and it's running rich now. I took it to HD for a new dyno tune and the first thing they asked for was the "tuning module". What the hell are they asking for, I didn't get anything like that from the dealer I bought the bike from in Tennessee.
Do I need to purchase a new SERT?
Is the SERT piggy-backed on the existing computer?
Can I remove the SERT and put something else like a Power Commander on it?
Since I didn't put the SERT on I have no idea how to remove it!
It is a lot of bad news:
To start with, if the engine is now running rich after changing the exhaust, the new exhaust is not performing as well as the original exhaust did. You want the exhaust to "scavenge" the exhaust as much as possible. The more that it scavenges, the leaner it will be and you will need to map in More fuel. If it causes the engine to run richer, then it is not scavenging as well.

The tuning module looks like this.

You have to have this to remap the ECM. It is connected to a cable that lets your computer communicate with the ECM.
It will cause problems if you now install a Power Commander because the ECM has a custom map installed from the old SERT.
The best thing you could do is purchase a new SERT or purchase a Thundermax system.

Sorry for the bad news.:(

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the bad news! :guns I know, don't shoot the messenger.
I am leaning toward the ThunderMax, sounds like a lot of money up front but when you think about the advantages, like no need for dyno tuning...EVER, it's not that bad.:thumb

·
Registered
541 Posts
It's not that there is no need for a dyno tune with a Thundermax, it's just that it adjusts itself like an real EFI ECU should. If you never dyno, you never know how much gut busting torque you have or face shredding horsepower you can make. Plus, I promise you, if you put a ThunderMax on your bike and the dealer finds out, your warranty is toast. They are fine with a Stage 1 and the SERF, SERT, or even the PC III or V, but when you rip out the Delphi ECU... they freak out.

The ThunderMax is SO sweet though. If I didn't negotiate in a SERT on my bike, I'd have gotten the ThunderMax and probably never dyno tuned. Haha, I don't care how much horsepower I have. Just how many girls I can get or how many people at work I can make think twice about me.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good thing my warranty has run out then.:nod

·
Registered
14 Posts
It will cause problems if you now install a Power Commander because the ECM has a custom map installed from the old SERT.
VRYQUIK - can I extrapolate from this that if I have an 'on the money' tune from the SERT in my ECM that I could switch to the PCV + Autotune and be in good shape?

·
Nitrous Rules
31 Posts
VRYQUIK - can I extrapolate from this that if I have an 'on the money' tune from the SERT in my ECM that I could switch to the PCV + Autotune and be in good shape?
I haven't used the new PCV yet. It sounds pretty interesting.

I would probably contact Dynojet to find out. I do know that other PC's are preset for "stock" ECM mapping. So if the stock map was adjusted, then the PC adjustments will not be correct.

I did find this quote on their website
Software displays J1850 data from bikes’ stock ECU (this is data such as temp, fuel pulse width, timing advance, spark knock, etc.)
It' aboit time that they got into the "Auto-Tune" game.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My Delphi system is now in a box of other varied parts in my garage. In the hole left by the Delphi holds a new ThunderMax EFI Auto-tune system. I installed it yesterday and put about 200 miles on the bike today. Idles smoother, it uses about the same amount of fuel around 38mpg and starts as soon as you touch the start button, time will tell. Now all I need to fine out is how to drop the idle a little and play with the AFR so I can increase the mileage some.:thumb

·
Registered
14 Posts
Agreed on the Auto-tune...

I was under the impression that the PCV would pick up whatever was in the ECM at the time of install, and use that as its base... could've misinterpreted it, though...

Good news on the Thundermax, DJH... It sounds like they're hit or miss... sounds like you got a solid set up.

~S

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, You have to pick from the maps they furnish that bests meets the requirements of your setup. You then flash that map to the ECM and the ECM takes over and tunes your bike.

Cool sheet!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts