Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright fellow riders,
I love my local Harley shops and want to grow as much love at them as possible. As a guy who considers himself a smart consumer, I can't help but question the rates the service dept charges compared to other certified Harley repair shops charge. What also ticks me off is the fact I have 2 shops in Austin and they have different hourly rates. Bottom line, is it REALLY worth getting service done at the Harley dealer??

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,388 Posts
Get a local indie to do it or do it yourself.

Everything at the HD shop is at a premium cuz they have to pay so much to be able to carry and sale HD bikes and parts

·
Registered
24 Posts
I wouldn't use them at all unless it is warranty related. Although I'm going to do the first service with them but nothing after that... I would much rather do it all myself.

·
Nocturnal Ancestor
6,666 Posts
I knew a mechanic that worked at a couple dealerships and then he started doing work at his own shop and with his connections at dealers he could always get parts and didn't get the run around from the dealerships.

He was the best and several people knew about him but he would fix stuff in no time. I bought a used bike in early 90's from a guy who was trying to do mods and rebuild whole bike, the guy had put in cams and carbs and some other stuff but it would run worth a $hit backfire and carry on.....I took it to this guy and he called after having it for a full day and called me and said the bill was $150.00 bucks.... I picked it up and it ran like a bat outta h3ll.

Then the dirty rotten bass-turd got a job out west building kit cars for his brother and is doing very well....I wanted some work done on a old bike and tracked him down and he remembered me, I told him I would ship the bike to him,but he said he was very busy and just works on kit cars and old cars?? Oh well..

Anyway I would go to a indy if you know of a good one!! I have a fairly good one about 50 miles away!!

·
Eats Shoots & Leaves
87 Posts
I agree with getting it done at an independant, however, is this likely to have an adverse effect on the bikes resale value?

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
I agree with getting it done at an independant, however, is this likely to have an adverse effect on the bikes resale value?
If a buyer is trying to low-ball you because the service wasn't done at the H-D dealer, wait for the next buyer.

·
Office Linebacker
1,218 Posts
Case in point:

Schmidtys is an indy...
I would put him up against any dealer in the country.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
if you want you stuff stripped out and scratched up ,take to the dealer. high price, low quality of work.
Obviously it depends on the dealer. You're a St. Louis guy. I have had MANY excellent experience with Doc's. They have been around forever and have an excellent reputation.

·
Harley Rider
10,488 Posts
If you aren't comfortable doing it yourself, I would recommend either the HD or a local wrench.

·
Registered
78 Posts
My dad got his current bike from Doc's and takes it in for all the services. He has nothing but good things to say....just my two cents.

·
Senile Member
1,713 Posts
It's always best to shop around and look for an indy with ex-Harley mechanics. Talk to other riders and see if you can find a well recomended indy and give him a try. Check with ABATE members or maybe the odd HOG member. Usually good mechanics don't like the dealership politics or low pay and strike out on their own. I've always been lucky to find the awsome indy's I have in the past. Service rates and PM's are usually almost half of a dealer. Oh, and the indy will not wash your bike and have some flunky monkey wipe it down. The only time I'd let other people wash my bike is when I'm on a long road trip and the person(s) washing it are hotties with hooties and bullet proof booties.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts