Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for opinions on service/repair shops in Atlanta. Need to have Cam chain tensioner replaced.

Thanks

·
Registered
177 Posts
I'm not far from you in Cedartown. We have a shop in Cedartown (Bikers Toyz) Joe is a good guy and converted my Deuce (88") to S&S gear drive cams. His rates are $60/hr....Much less then you are gonna get in Atlanta.

·
Retired citizen
24,366 Posts
To convert to S&S gear drive the cam cover needs to be removed first to check pinion shaft run out. The spec is .003" or less. The MoCo wasn't concerned with run out as the chains and spring tensioners compensated for run out.
I've rebuilt many spring tensioner OEM setups that had excessive run out specs on the pinion shaft with no problems.
The original problem with the spring tensioners was the material used with the wear pad. That has been addressed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice! I live in Dallas so that is real close.
Any idea how long the cam chain tensioner upgrade takes? I would like to go hydraulic with the larger oil pump.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Nice! I live in Dallas so that is real close.
Any idea how long the cam chain tensioner upgrade takes? I would like to go hydraulic with the larger oil pump.
Joe at Biker Toyz had my bike about a week, and 3-4 days was waiting on parts....Your probably looking at 5-10 days. Now if you paid a deposit to cover the parts you could take your bike in once the parts arrive and it should be a 1-3 day turn around depending on how busy he is.

Give him a call and see what he says 770-748-2532 Bikers Toyz - Joe

·
Registered
177 Posts
To convert to S&S gear drive the cam cover needs to be removed first to check pinion shaft run out. The spec is .003" or less. The MoCo wasn't concerned with run out as the chains and spring tensioners compensated for run out.
I've rebuilt many spring tensioner OEM setups that had excessive run out specs on the pinion shaft with no problems.
The original problem with the spring tensioners was the material used with the wear pad. That has been addressed.
I dont know what bike he has, but on the 88's (which is what I have) run out is less of an issue, but I still had them check. Mainly that is on the 96's and larger according to my research.

In his situation run out is not an issue. He wants to go to the hydraulic cam tensioner set up. The only talk of gear drive was from me letting him know the shop I recommended can do the work he needs/wants done.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts