Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forums and I already know that we cant link to HD manuals, which is understandable..
My question is this, while looking for a service manual for my 2003 Road Glide (100th Anniversary Edition), I'm seeing 2003 service manuals for Touring bikes and some for 2003 Anniversary Edition.

Can someone tell me if theirs a difference between the two or is this just the way ppl are listing them on Ebay?

I'm new to bikes but know my way around cages when it comes to performing services and repairs and greatly prefer doing the work myself so I can learn more about the bike and at the same time know what's been done and what needs to be done.

Thank you in advance

EDIT:
What service manuals do you guys recommend? Haynes looks weak

·
Registered
42,150 Posts
The factory manual is best, Haynes and Clymer are both very very weak.

Get the real manual, not the bootleg pdfs. It's the best investment you can make for your bike.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for responding Kainam,

That's kinda what I thought as well, but wanted to double check with those out there that have used them.. Dealership prices are nuts (as always) so I've been watching Ebay, I'm good with a little grease being on the pages :)

What's your take on a parts manual? worth having the part numbers in front of you, or should I just leave that on the parts store?

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,118 Posts
The factory manual is best, Haynes and Clymer are both very very weak.

Get the real manual, not the bootleg pdfs. It's the best investment you can make for your bike.

^^^^^ This ^^^^^ Not opinion, its a proven fact (for me) I've saved $$$$ having the HD manuals.

I have the owners manual as well as the shop and parts manual.

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts
What's your take on a parts manual? worth having the part numbers in front of you, or should I just leave that on the parts store?
Parts manual is always good to have. Especially if you plan on any customization.
Some HD shops parts counter guys know their stuff. Others not so much.

·
Registered
42,150 Posts
Thanks for responding Kainam,

That's kinda what I thought as well, but wanted to double check with those out there that have used them.. Dealership prices are nuts (as always) so I've been watching Ebay, I'm good with a little grease being on the pages :)

Personally, I've never bought a parts manual.

I use Ronnie's Harley-Davidson's Harley Davidson Street Bike Parts Finder to look up part numbers.

If I ever need to darken the local dealership with my presence, I bring the part numbers that I need so that there is no misunderstanding.

Try https://www.surdyke.com/ to order your Service Manual.

https://www.surdyke.com/AdvPartInfo.asp?PartNumber=99483-03A

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts
Ronnies is very good.
But the older the year of the bike the more limited the listings.
For newer bike owners not a problem. For older iron, not so good.
Just a FWIW

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks GotGold & Thunder~Struck for the advise on the manuals. Any advise on a jack/lift? From the little research ive done thus far the Harbir Freight lift is outta the question, looks WAY to unstable just lifting a big bike, much less trying to get the rear wheel off and on while its up on the thing.

The Pitbull and J&S look good, just a little pricy right now for me.. I know I've got to get the rear rubber replaced and even tho the last owner claimed to have changed the oil in the bike, I really want fresh fluids and filters throughout. But either need a jack or figure out some way to get it level. She leans to much on just the stand alone.

Thanks again

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,145 Posts
block o wood under jiffy stand will make it level... just sayin

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's a big block of wood Misinlink.. but I guess you gotta do what ya gotta do in a pinch =)

Honestly, it never crossed my mind to use a simple block of wood **Face palm**

·
South GA *******
3,898 Posts
I have a Torin Big Red jack thst has served me well for years. Had everything from sportsters to dressers up on it.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,118 Posts
Thanks GotGold & Thunder~Struck for the advise on the manuals. Any advise on a jack/lift? From the little research ive done thus far the Harbir Freight lift is outta the question, looks WAY to unstable just lifting a big bike, much less trying to get the rear wheel off and on while its up on the thing.

The Pitbull and J&S look good, just a little pricy right now for me.. I know I've got to get the rear rubber replaced and even tho the last owner claimed to have changed the oil in the bike, I really want fresh fluids and filters throughout. But either need a jack or figure out some way to get it level. She leans to much on just the stand alone.

Thanks again
Off hand I don't know which jack I have, I do like like it, got it from Santa OL. Yeah, previous owner of my bike said "never been wrenched on".. thats code for never been worked on too. You don't need a jack to change fluids, the only one you need to worry about keeping the bike level for is the trans. That can be done with out a jack also, its just a PIA.

·
Registered
42,150 Posts

Thanks again

If you can weld, or know someone that does, you can make yourself one of these:

Or a dual crossmember version:

Or you can make one out of wood.

$20 Bike Lift

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts

Thanks again
block o wood under jiffy stand will make it level... just sayin
^This^ Just be sure not to over lean. Someone hanging onto the bars just to be safe is`t a bad idea.
Sears sells a couple different lifts that Members here say are pretty good. There is an orange one and a yellow one I think. One is preferred more then the other. But do`t remember which.

I think some have the Harbor Freight too. They replaced some nuts and bolts with a higher grade and are happy with them.

I am going from memory on this so do not hold me to it. Am sure others will jump in with clarification.

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,145 Posts
i have the red craftsman jack... my ultra was on it for a couple of months no issues.

Mine will go real close to level with a 2x4 and a 1x4 together...

·
Dirty Member
1,142 Posts
Out of the research I have done the J&S jack is the best set up. You can look them up on u tube compared to other brands.
On the Sears brand I think the preferred one was the yellow jack.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Some great info guys, really appreciate it! Think ill get the saw out and cut some scrap lumber up since its in my price range this week and I can get on the fluids. The single lift looks like it could do the job, just likes it would take a lot of UmmFff to get it up and back down again without it flying forward.. but worth looking into steels costs since ive got a buddy not to far away that's pretty good at wielding..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Out of the research I have done the J&S jack is the best set up. You can look them up on u tube compared to other brands.
On the Sears brand I think the preferred one was the yellow jack.
Yeah, thus far I've been the most impressed with the J&S and honestly, I haven't even looked at sears for bike jacks yet, but sounds like I need to.

Thanks !

·
Super Moderator
4,911 Posts
I have the yellow Sears Jack and like it. It is a bit of a pain to let down so probably not the best. I haven't tried the others though.

I got all 4 available manuals for mine 1. Service 2. Sevice supplement for the CVO specific 3. Parts manual and 4. Electronic diagnostic manual.

I only got the electronic diagnostic manual because I have been an Avionics tech on helos for a long time and that is my bathroom read. I would not have bothered with the Parts Manual either had the Breakout not been a brand new model. I got a few wrong parts in so I got it for research. The service manual is great and should cover all your needs.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts