Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My long term plan is to buy the detachable tour pack but not until next year. I have a 3 day trip coming up in October and don't have a luggage rack to tie anything down to. I have the 4Point docking hardware installed and detachable passenger sissy bar.

Question: Do you think I could buy the detachable tour pack mounting rack now and use it as a luggage rack a long with my detachable passenger sissy bar to strap a back pack bag to?

Basically trying to avoid buying a luggage rack which I feel would be obsolete after I get the tour pack.

·
Dr. Pending Projects
1,785 Posts
Let me see if I understand correctly... you want a Tour*Pak... plan to buy it later... But you have a trip coming up... and asking if you can just buy the base mount rack and use that to pile up your luggage.

If that is what you are asking, then yes! I did that at first...

So the bike would look like this (black or chrome depending on what you are going for):

·
Done
4,154 Posts
I have my tour pak on now and I think it will work by looking at where the pak bracket attaches and where the backrest goes. I believe I stand corrected.

·
Dr. Pending Projects
1,785 Posts
He also wants to use the passenger backrest at the same time.
humm... I will check tomorrow if this can be done... I have the passenger backrest and a base. Well, Cory has the base, need to get him to bring it over to do the test.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys! I was at the dealer yesterday and asked the parts guy this question and he didn't have a firm yes or no answer. It was kind of like you woulld have to buy the tour pack mount and try it out. Looking at the photo posted it looks like it should work.

·
Dr. Pending Projects
1,785 Posts
With the tour pack on the passenger back rest mount is a no go.
Correct.. with the Tour*pak and the tour*pak base/mount the passenger backrest will not fit...

But with just the Tour*pak base/mount... it might work. I will know tonight when I test it.

·
Psalm 45:4
35 Posts
If you aren't taking a passenger with you set your bag on the passenger seat and brace it against the sissy bar. You shouldn't need much for a three day trip - that's what I've done and it works great plus gives you something to lean back on.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you aren't taking a passenger with you set your bag on the passenger seat and brace it against the sissy bar. You shouldn't need much for a three day trip - that's what I've done and it works great plus gives you something to lean back on.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
That would work but we are staying in cabins with no bedding so I need to take a sleeping bag as well. I was thinking Duffle bag on the rack and sleeping bag on the passenger seat. Figured the sleeping bag would make a great back rest :).

This is my first overnight trip on a bike. My wife and daughters think I have an illness because I try and plan for every scenario immaginable...which equates to taking more crap then I could ever use. They laugh at me everytime I prepare for our camping trips. I haul so much stuff and most of it never gets touched. But if I didn't take it I "might" need it and not have it :)

Trying to overcome that while prepping for my 3 day adventure on the bike.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
That would work but we are staying in cabins with no bedding so I need to take a sleeping bag as well. I was thinking Duffle bag on the rack and sleeping bag on the passenger seat. Figured the sleeping bag would make a great back rest :).

This is my first overnight trip on a bike. My wife and daughters think I have an illness because I try and plan for every scenario immaginable...which equates to taking more crap then I could ever use. They laugh at me everytime I prepare for our camping trips. I haul so much stuff and most of it never gets touched. But if I didn't take it I "might" need it and not have it :)

Trying to overcome that while prepping for my 3 day adventure on the bike.

Credit Card. Ultimate space saver.

--

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Definitely!!! I have lots of duplicate items in the garage to prove it. Which then causes me space issues in the garage :)
The duffle bag makes a better back rest, the sleeping bag will be too soft, just make sure when leaning back on the duffle you rest against the clothes side, not against something hard. Then bungi sleeping bag right on top of duffle bag, its soft enough that it will compress, and get rid of all that junk you don't need, make your friends carry it and borrow their stuff.

·
Dr. Pending Projects
1,785 Posts
My long term plan is to buy the detachable tour pack but not until next year. I have a 3 day trip coming up in October and don't have a luggage rack to tie anything down to. I have the 4Point docking hardware installed and detachable passenger sissy bar.

Question: Do you think I could buy the detachable tour pack mounting rack now and use it as a luggage rack a long with my detachable passenger sissy bar to strap a back pack bag to?

Basically trying to avoid buying a luggage rack which I feel would be obsolete after I get the tour pack.
Short answer... Yes!

Photos (thank you to Cory for letting me borrow his tour*pak base):

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Short answer... Yes!

Photos (thank you to Cory for letting me borrow his tour*pak base):

Is there a longer answer that would deter me from going that route:)

From the pictures it looks like I could atleast secure a duffle bag or sleeping bag to it??

Thanks for taking the time to investigate and post pictures.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts