Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know many members have discussed this and I have done some searching and read, but wanted to throw it out directly as I have to make my mind up this week and purchase... Street Glide Special it Road Glide Special??? I've been off two wheels for about 7 years now but have been riding since my teens before that! Rented a SGS in Dallas a couple of weeks ago and fell in love and am ready to get back on the street! The most common plus to the comparison seems to be that the RGS will have a smother ride with less wind turbulence felt and a front end that's not a " sluggish" compared to the SGS. Most of my riding will be short trips and maybe an occasional weekend long ride, will be many years before I retire and can get away on a multi state trip. So, if you had the option, which would you choose and why? Thanks in advance for any info!

·
Registered
581 Posts
While I have never ridden a RG, I can honestly say that my SGS is the best motorcycle I've ridden. Works really well for me. Best advice is to try to get your hands on a RG and ride. You mentioned that you have ridden the SG and liked it, if you do go that way, you won't be disappointed

.…...........................................

"I'd rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God than sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle"

·
Just Ride
3,254 Posts
Having owned both at the same time, the street glide got sold. RG the way to go.

·
Dirty Member
1,142 Posts
Cant go wrong either way. Pick your style.
Other than style there is not much of a difference.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had two SG's since 2006 and just purchased a 2015 RGS and I haven't regretted it since. To me the handling is far better on the RG since the weight is on the frame and not bars and that makes it fun to flick through the curves (just watch the low stance both these bikes are known for). The only thing I've done is changed the stock bars to Tallboy bars because the stock ones just didn't feel right to me. You will notice less hand protection with the RG "sharknose" fairing vs. the "batwing" fairing but it doesn't bother me. As for the venting I'm absolutely sold on the two air ducts on each side of the headlight and one at the top of the fairing because when they're all open it's like the fairing just disappears. The only way to REALLY make sure your $$ is well spent is take both out for a test ride back-to-back if you can. Either way these new 2015's are great bikes so regardless of which one you choose it'll be a good one. Best of luck and tell us which one you pick!

·
Just Ride
3,254 Posts
^^^^this^^^^

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
What all have said here is good advice. Test ride both back to back, be objective with yourself, foregot glitz and showroom stuff. Go maneuver in a parking lot etc, multiple rides gets you used to the machine thus increasing your objectivity. Good luck, welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I went and rode both. Right after each other and for me. No other bike other then the road glide. I used to like the LOoK of the street better. But ride matters way more. And you can make it look better anytime.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the info guys! I've gone back and forth... from the operators position, I like the layout of the SG much better. The instrumentation and layout just looks better but from the front RG has it hands down! I did take the RG for a short ride, but after getting around 500 miles on the SG two weekends ago, was hard to make a good comparison. It really was a dead even split between the two for me. But after the posts on here and going through the dealer asking each employee their preference, majority chose the RG, so I made a decision..........And gone with the RGS!! I'm happy and can't wait to get it home! Should finalize deal tomorrow!!

·
Registered
581 Posts
Thanks for all the info guys! I've gone back and forth... from the operators position, I like the layout of the SG much better. The instrumentation and layout just looks better but from the front RG has it hands down! I did take the RG for a short ride, but after getting around 500 miles on the SG two weekends ago, was hard to make a good comparison. It really was a dead even split between the two for me. But after the posts on here and going through the dealer asking each employee their preference, majority chose the RG, so I made a decision..........And gone with the RGS!! I'm happy and can't wait to get it home! Should finalize deal tomorrow!!

Congrats!

.…...........................................

"I'd rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God than sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle"

1 - 20 of 23 Posts