Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the deal with all the rattling out back around the bag area? I can't figure it out. Bags are snug and don't seem to move and I sure as hell can't simulate the noise in the garage. Chatted up another SG rider at bike night tonight and he's losing his mind trying to figure it out, too. Surely someone here knows what I'm talking about. :)

Thanks!
Shane

·
Dr. Pending Projects
1,785 Posts
Exhaust shields?? At the center pipe and mufflers....
Cross pipe bracket bolt loose??
Muffler missing a bolt at the back, where it is held in place under the bags?
Tag vibration?

Passenger ate too many burritos?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't checked cross bolt, but the others I have, no loosey-goosey there. I'll take a peek when I return home from my trip. Something is funky!

·
Registered
926 Posts
Do you have a passenger backrest or luggage rack on? The bushings on the docking like to rattle quite a bit. Happened to me on my Dyna after about 4000 miles. I was told the cure was replacing them. Haven't heard anything on the SGS yet.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I should have mentioned the bike is brand new, 1200mi on her. No upgrades of any sort yet. Thanks for reply all.

·
South GA Redneck
3,898 Posts
I've heard some rattling on my 09 before and it has been the rubber isolator on the saddle bag support where the exhaust mounts. It has can out and the metal on the exhaust bracket was rattling. I also heard a rattle one day and realized it was a can of harley quick detailer in the saddlebag rattling around.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haha, Baggerboy! That cracked me up!

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
ditto on the muffler mount on the back under the saddle bags. That rubber isolator will slide forward and you get a metal to metal clank especially when you hit bumps. I finally put a zip tie around mine to keep it in place.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ditto on the muffler mount on the back under the saddle bags. That rubber isolator will slide forward and you get a metal to metal clank especially when you hit bumps. I finally put a zip tie around mine to keep it in place.
Great info guys, thank you. I'm on the road for 6 days now, really wanna get home and have a look. Then ride it like a scalded dog.

·
Registered
106 Posts
It mite not be the pipes. Check the piece that bolts to the rear fender on the end of it. The one with the slots with lights in it. Most are loose and rattle like a bitch. Very annoying.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was actually surprised that that thing was as loose as it is, seemed a little shoddy. I'll also check that when I get home.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts