Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sharing the road with Grace is not about road manners. It's about Grace. I met Grace about 28 years ago, a recent divorcee' trying to maintain a home while sending two daughters to college. I was a transient bike rider, I say transient only because I had recently been divorced myself and was relocating to a new location for a new job. My first requirement was a place to live and I picked up the local paper. The only thing I found was a lone add for "room for rent." I thought damn, I really need an apartment or something, but, I'll take anything right now. I was staying at a motel and had trailered my bike with me, along with all my belongings behind a Chevy Pickup and they were still loaded. I debated which to take, to check out the room and decided on the bike. On the way there, the thought crossed my mind, some people don't take kindly to motorcycles. I shouldn't have worried. After a short trip I found the street and a white house on a cul-du sac, pulled in the driveway, dropped the kickstand and rang the bell. The door swung open and Grace smilingly said, " are you the one that called about the room?" Yes I did, I replied. "That's a beautiful bike you have there, come on in and I'll show you the room." After a short tour, I said I liked it and she said fine, your welcome here. After a week or so I learned she had never been near a motorcycle and, while chit chatting she asked if I would take her for a ride sometime.
Shure I said, in fact, I'm going to ride a run next Sunday and there will be food and music after, if you'd like, you can come along. When it was all over, all I heard was what a great time she had, how she liked riding on the back and, she would like to do it again. I told her we could although I do prefer to ride solo. She thought about that for a moment and blurted out, "how about I get a bike of my own?" I said, good idea. We went to the dealers and she bought a new Harley. I spent Lot's of time teaching her to be a good rider. This was the beginning of sharing the road with Grace. Twenty eight years later, she has had three new Harley's, I've had a few and we've been across the country and back a number of times plus everything else we've done together. She's my absolute soul mate, we've shared the road together and, loved every minute of it.:ride

Sharing the road with Grace in Cades Cove, Tenn.

Again, on the way up Mt. Evans, Co.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I might be missing something. Or. your just relating a story.
You rode up to Grace's place when you were 12 years old?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I might be missing something. Or. your just relating a story.
You rode up to Grace's place when you were 12 years old?
If you check the profile again you'll notice I said scooter, Maple St. and what ever date came to mind....what's that tell ya?:)

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
A special story. A gift to each other. In a way, that is the meaning of "grace"... unmerited favor. Nice how this has worked out. JD... from the amount of Colorado images I think it was one epic and memory filled trip1

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
(cut some) from the amount of Colorado images I think it was one epic and memory filled trip.
My trips out west have been more than "one" epic trip. I've been back and forth a number of times with my son's too. We've even been all together at times. I have four son's with their own bikes and they ride with us, nice to have your own "gang" at times.;)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jack, that is a wonderful story! I'm glad you and Grace found each other!
Thanks Lil...she's a good sport, paid her dues while learning to ride, had a few tip overs, a couple of nasty bangs, never gave up. Just getting her to the point of being an excellent rider was an adventure in itself. :)

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Thanks Lil...
You are very welcome!

...she's a good sport, paid her dues while learning to ride, had a few tip overs, a couple of nasty bangs, never gave up. Just getting her to the point of being an excellent rider was an adventure in itself. :)
And it is wonderful that you had what it took to stick by her!!:dance:

·
"Riding for Tim" RIP
607 Posts
beutiful story! My wife, who was also my highschool sweetheart is wanting her own bike. I just can't get comfortable with the idea of her riding and not sitting behind me. I do not know if I could enjoy my rides while worring about her..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts