Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post for me. Hopefully I've found the right forum....seems other "mechanics forums" are discussing which color headlights go best with their helmets.

I'm on a "06 xl1200. Layed it down in May, on the left side. Jammed the shifter pretty good, didn't seem crazy though. Fast forward to now, everything is back together, custom paint on the tank, she looks like my bike. BUT the tiny springs on the shift mechanism behind the clutch keep popping off.
Bicycle part Metal Font Titanium Circle

This will be the third time everything went back together, rode for about 3 miles and BAM no shifty!! I could crimp the spring ends, I guess. But I don't think I should need to. The shaft doesn't appear to be bent. But it's pretty hard to say with the primary cover off, knowhatimean. It's a huge PITA and frustrating to put 3 hours of work in for a spring!! Poor design IMO, but it is what it is. Thanks.

R

·
Just Ride
3,888 Posts
I found one on eBay for less than stealership. Little brother had bent his to the point it was leaking. I r&r it fairly easy. You could crimp the springs and take the chance but it sounds like the springs are weak. I'd replace the shaft if it was my wife's bike. It's a 06 also.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Springs are brand new from Harley.

Gawd, I really don't want to pull the motor and split the case to replace the shaft. But I guess I have all winter.

I think I'll try crimping the ends, and see what happens. I'm in Utah so I'm losing ridabiliy quick.....

·
Just Ride
3,888 Posts
You don't have to split cases to replace the shift shaft.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You don't have to split cases to replace the shift shaft.
I'm sure you're right. But I've been in there quite a bit, done some inspection along with some real pushing and pulling on that shift shaft. Nothing came out. I was under the impression that the shaft had a flange on the other side of the case.....

So if it doesn't slide right out like butter, is there something I'm missing? It'd be a good day if that's true!!

R

·
Just Ride
3,888 Posts
I just replaced that shaft on my little brother's bike. Only had to take primary cover off. It's a 06 1200 low.

Reactions: WiSeNhEiMeR

·
Just Ride
3,888 Posts
Shaft pulls out, reinstall with a gentle tap with 4 oz hammer. Put shaft almost to hole,then a tap,. it's to get past the springs.

Reactions: WiSeNhEiMeR
1 - 12 of 12 Posts