Harley Davidson Forums banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

· Wayward Son
24,517 Posts
........Thanks for the suggestion T~S. Might end up going that way at some point.........
Damn...... was this >[]< close.
Used to have access to heavy-duty high temp o-rings of all sizes.
Decent looking shade of red. Sizes to work on almost everything your imagination could think of....NO, not there.
On the bike FFS.

· Registered
628 Posts
Another way to keep it the same diameter as it is now:
Very carefully abrade the knurled portion with a wire brush then clean with acetone to prep it for carefully applied body puddy... Sand smooth, prime n paint. No more knurling!

One more way to lose the knurling: Anyone with a home lathe can turn the knurling off, or even take the high points off, resulting in a much less aggressive knurl. Followed by prime n paint.

You may to the above on a drill press / using sandpaper to cut the knurl. Make some kinda arbor for the threaded portion to chuck on.
No toe shifting with that 😏

· Registered
13,369 Posts
I remember when I bought a new 2013 RG. My first touring bike. And my first bike with a heel shifter. I figured one of the first things I would do to that bike was remove the heel shifter. But I picked up the bike--the dealer is about 10 miles from me. But before I got home I had put 150 miles on it lol. And ya know, by the time I got home I really liked the heel shifter. And the boots I bought a few years ago have an extra leather pad that makes contact with the shifter and my boots aren't all scuffed up from shifting.

Fast forward several years and a couple of bikes later. I had been using the heel shifter since late 2012. But the bike I bought in Feb. 2021 didn't have a heel shifter. At first I missed the heel shifter. But I was enjoying the extra freedom for moving my left foot around cause there wasn't a heel shifter that made me keep my foot in the same place all the time. So, I do fine without the heel shifter and the pads on my boots protect them from the shifter and I'm doing just fine.

· Registered
2022 FSXT
4,032 Posts
After reading this thread, I went out & removed my heel shifter. It's been on there since new & I've only tried it out a couple times. Ordered a cap for it as well. As far as boots, my factory shift peg is flat on the bottom & I've never had an issue with it.
One of the first things I did was remove the heel shifter from my Freewheeler and capped the shaft. I like being able to move my foot around. My wife says she uses her Freewheeler's heel shifter. On my current bike I have the stock rubber shift peg.

· Registered
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I would think some bicycle inner tube would make a good cushion.
That's not a bad idea to use a tube to cover up the grooved look of all those stacked grommets. In fact, I'll try it just as a test to see what it looks like. But what I had to accomplish was to make the diameter of the middle section of the shifter peg, the knurled looking black rubber part, larger than the two machined end piece diameters to keep my boot from getting chewed up from their sharp edges. The grommets fixed that issue, but they look a little weird, so the inner tube theory might be the fix for that. Thanks for the idea @priell3 !

• Helpful
Reactions: priell3

· Registered
628 Posts
I definitely took mine off it was confusing to me especially when I did a test ride on her and coming off a sport bike with toe shifter …so after a year I put the heel back on now saving my boots.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts