Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed today when shifting from 2nd to 3rd, it doesn't want to change gears. I have to keep slamming until I can get it to change gears. It doesn't do this everytime. Any advice?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Señor Member
19,660 Posts
I noticed today when shifting from 2nd to 3rd, it doesn't want to change gears. I have to keep slamming until I can get it to change gears. It doesn't do this everytime. Any advice?

The shift will behave better at some rpm's than others. How's your trans fluid level and quality? How is your shift performance in other gears? How's your clutch cable adjustment? When was the last time you cracked the primary and did a clutch adjustment (not the cable, the interior clutch adjustment)? Good luck.

·
Retired citizen
22,930 Posts
I suggest not slamming the trans into gears, you can break the shift return spring and cost yourself a lot of $$$$ ! A broken shift spring means the entire trans has to be removed from the case.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I have that problem if I don't shift fast enough. Then I have to blip the throttle and it slides right in. Sounds like the same problem. I don't know enough to say exactly why I assume something similiar to a synchronizer issue. Maybe someone else can enlighten us.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Simple stuff first, check linkage to make sure it is not binding anywhere. Make sure lever at the transmission is tight on the shaft, these levers are notorious for coming loose.

Without the engine running, slightly roll the bike back and forth and shift through the gears and see how it goes. If it shifts properly it is probably not a transmission issue.

Make sure the clutch and the clutch cable are adjusted properly.

Check primary chain tension.

Check primary lube level, with bike upright, the lube should just be touching the outer shell of the clutch. A little lower than that is fine.

Andy deeper than this will require you to remove the transmission top cover, which is simple, but on a Softail it is made difficult because the oil tank must first be removed.

Check this stuff first and let us know what you find.

And like Schmidtys said, don`t slam it into any gear, that is a good way to wreck the splines on the shift shaft, and bend a shift fork.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, my husband took the bike to mechanic today and evidently when we went to the Outer Banks a couple of weeks ago, there was some salt on the shifter. He took shifter off and cleaned it and put the anti-seize on it and it works like a charm. Go figure!

·
Señor Member
19,660 Posts
Happy ending. :thumb

1 - 10 of 10 Posts