Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only had the bike 1 day so far, so sorry for the dumb question, but I was reading the manual for a 2003 sportster, was wondering if im reading this right.

The gear shifter mechanism on 5-speed does not permit shifting the transmission to neutral from second gear. Neutral can only be engaged from first gear.

Just wondering if im having a problem, seems while downshifting I can get the green neutral light to light up before putting it in 1st gear.

LOL, of course I read this part also..........says you can do damage by shifting gears while engine is stopped............of course I was doing this while trying to figure out my first question.

I can see its gonna take me quite some time to understand these bikes better..............im use to old cars, you can shift them all day without the motor running.

All in all a good day though, was very nervous taking the bike out today , but doing good so far.

Thanks for any help on this

Rich

·
Registered
488 Posts
Yeah....2nd to neutral is a miss fir me. I normally shift to 1st as I am coming to a stop and then slip it up into neutral.

It takes time but you will get the feel for your bike....they are all different!

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Just Ride
3,036 Posts
Only shift when you're riding. Neutral any other time means your not moving.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,383 Posts
I never use N unless im in a parked. And then i only shift into N to start. I keep it parked in 1st so it dont roll away. If i roll up to a stop light, im in 1st. Just in case some a hole behind me doesnt see me stopped i can jump outa the way fast. Thats also best practice according to the msf.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 4 of 4 Posts