Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
raptor
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have '91 Ultra-Classic, out of the main trans shaft then it goes to a clamp style upright and then to the foot shifting linkage. Well the upright that clamps aroung the main shaft of the tranny keeps wearing out. and harley in all their great wisdom have it hiding behind the primary cover. I'm this was done so you have to have one of their mechanics fix it. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this problem without having to remove the primary cover. And why would they make the upright lever out of anything but hardened steel like the main shaft?

·
Retired citizen
22,068 Posts
Sometimes all that's needed is a new Allen bolt cranked in as tight as you can make it. The H-D bolt comes with thread locking compound pre-applied to the threads.

·
Just Ride
3,036 Posts
Replace the allen with a grade 8 hex head bolt. With the 1/2 inch head you can put a socket on it and crank it down. Use anti seize own the threads and every oil change give it a check for tightness.I've done this to several bikes including 2 of my own. Just recently to my 2010 Road Glide.

·
raptor
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've replaced the upright part of the linkage and I've replaced the allenhead screw with a grade 8. and cranked the hell out of it b ut it still comes loose and leaves me on the side of the road fixing it again and again. thanks for the tip though.

·
raptor
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the tip I'll try it. but I think that the upright is screwed up again now that it has been slipping a bunch of times ad leaving me on the side of the road to push the upright back on the main shaft and re-cranking down on the Allen head bolt.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Better Lever is expensive but it works GREAT. I've had mine about 5000 miles now.My shaft is worn and I had put 3 stock levers on and I was getting fast pulling the primary HA! You can install the better lever without pulling the primary.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had exactly the same problem with a '98 Ultra I had just aquired. I purchased an aftermarket steel lever off of Ebay for less than $25 bucks and it had a thinner cross section than the stock lever and with a little more clearancing, fit on the shaft without removing the Primary cover. I removed the old one by using a Dremel like shown in the "Better Lever" install video. Blue Loc-Tite on the allen bolt. Took me about an hour to install. It's been a couple thousand miles and no problems............

·
Poser Member # 99
17,148 Posts
Is there any way to put a longer bolt in and use a nylock nut as a jam nut to keep it tight . If you clean all the threads up good with carb cleaner I use the green lock tite on the things blue won't hold
Red lock tite don't move unless ya put heat on it

good luck sounds like a pain

·
raptor
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the tip this is the best. I'll be ordering one. Just the step by step video and as you said its not cheap but what a concept. you rock dude.

·
raptor
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
very much a pain dude. I had to go San Francisco VA hospital a couple of weeks ago about a 100 mile ride and it left me on the side of the once going down there and three times coming back. so this better lever is going to work the best.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts