Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents,

This is my first post and I have an issue that hopefully is not common. I have a 08 Ultra Classic that my friend was helping me move. The bike was not running and in 2nd gear, without pulling the clutch he smashed the shifter into neutral or past into 1st gear. I was upset to say the least, he rides he should know better. I was able to get it into neutral and walk it, but when I went to ride the gear box was acting funny and when I eased off the throttle it had a lot of chatter coming from what I could tell was the gear box. It did not make the chatter when I was on the throttle, just when I eased off the throttle when I was going through a turn.

I need to take my bike to get looked at, I wanted to see if anyone else has been in this situation.

Cheers,

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
Not running, sitting still, the only damage he could have done by "smashing" the lever is to strip the splines on one of the shift lever connections, or bend a shift fork which is quite possible.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not running, sitting still, the only damage he could have done by "smashing" the lever is to strip the splines on one of the shift lever connections, or bend a shift fork which is quite possible.
Hey BReeze3at,

Thanks for reaching out. I was thinking that maybe it was a tooth that boke or that gear is broken. Because the noise is a metal on metal sound.

·
Registered
21 LowRider S
45,049 Posts
Hey BReeze3at,

Thanks for reaching out. I was thinking that maybe it was a tooth that boke or that gear is broken. Because the noise is a metal on metal sound.
He wouldn't have been able to break a tooth off by manual force.

Takes real abuse in racing type conditions like speed shifting to do that.

Not saying your friend isn't a dumbass, but I doubt he broke a gear.

Reactions: WiSeNhEiMeR

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He wouldn't have been able to break a tooth off by manual force.

Takes real abuse in racing type conditions like speed shifting to do that.

Not saying your friend isn't a dumbass, but I doubt he broke a gear.
That makes sense. The shops near me have a 4 week lead time before they even look at the bike, So I'm going to look at the shifter in the mean time. Anyone know where I could get a the HD service manual that I can download?

·
Registered
21 LowRider S
45,049 Posts
That makes sense. The shops near me have a 4 week lead time before they even look at the bike, So I'm going to look at the shifter in the mean time. Anyone know where I could get a the HD service manual that I can download?
Online service manuals are bootlegs. MoCo doesn't do online service manuals.

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
If you were around in '67, '68 and had a Suzuki X6 Hustler, your friend could have caused much damage. A Harley, I seriously doubt it.

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
I had a x6 hustler 250cc two stroke kinda of neat back then.
Rev 'em and shift a lot and they would keep up with most.

·
Retired citizen
25,840 Posts
The last bent shift fork I remember was in an Iron Head 4spd Sporty eons ago ! Bent shift forks are just not that common anymore !
The old Iron 4spd Sportys used bronze shift forks, the replacements were steel but those wore the side gears. The fix was to use bronze replacement forks and to not beat the snot outta the shifter mechanism !!!

• Love
Reactions: JLR and WiSeNhEiMeR
1 - 12 of 12 Posts