Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I touched on this on another post......I've been using Meguiar's quick detailer for a long time. The stuff is great, and leaves the paint looking wet. Now that i have an RKS with black paint....everywhere, I want to try to preserve the paint as much as possible right from the start. I am not one to take a hose, and a bucket to any of the bikes i have had. Spray on wipe off is all a bike needs unless you get caught in the rain and mud.

I have been thinking about having the bike professionally ceramic coated, which is the best thing you can do to any paint. It adds a second, even harder layer than the clear coat, and protects from scratches, chips, bugs you name it. I haven't really looked into it as i said i would, then I came across Shine Armor, which is a quick detailer and "water-less" wash. Spray on, wipe with damp microfiber, and buff with a dry microfiber. It has a ceramic liquid inside the quick detailer, which lasts 3-6 months depending on how often you ride and are in the "elements", and you can use the quick detailer as often as you'd like. It's OK to use on paint, metal, glass and plastic. For me just by reading reviews, and what i want in a quick detailer, this is....IT. I ordered a bottle, and am waiting for delivery.

Has anyone used Shine Armor, and has feedback?

·
Registered
10,668 Posts
Villain, I haven't used the ceramic product you just mentioned, but several years ago I tried a couple of the spray on wipe off detailers. Used a Meguiar's product and also one from Turtlewax. I wasn't impressed with either product and stayed with my regular routine which is to wipe a section of the bike with a damp microfiber cloth then wipe dry/buff a little with a dry microfiber cloth. Move to the next section, etc. And then an occasional hand wax job.

But late in the riding season last year my indy guy, who is a Lucas Oil Distributor, gave me a bottle of Lucas spray Mist. It was a while before I got around to using it but when I did, WOW! What a glossy shine, much more so than ANY wax I have ever used. Quick and easy to use. The label on the Lucas bottle doesn't mention anything about "ceramics" but it does say their product contains "paint enhancers" whatever that means. Maybe these products have been greatly improved since I last tried them?

Beats the hell out of waxing by hand like I have done so, so many times--but likely may never do again. :smile

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Villain, I haven't used the ceramic product you just mentioned, but several years ago I tried a couple of the spray on wipe off detailers. Used a Meguiar's product and also one from Turtlewax. I wasn't impressed with either product and stayed with my regular routine which is to wipe a section of the bike with a damp microfiber cloth then wipe dry/buff a little with a dry microfiber cloth. Move to the next section, etc. And then an occasional hand wax job.

But late in the riding season last year my indy guy, who is a Lucas Oil Distributor, gave me a bottle of Lucas spray Mist. It was a while before I got around to using it but when I did, WOW! What a glossy shine, much more so than ANY wax I have ever used. Quick and easy to use. The label on the Lucas bottle doesn't mention anything about "ceramics" but it does say their product contains "paint enhancers" whatever that means. Maybe these products have been greatly improved since I last tried them?

Beats the hell out of waxing by hand like I have done so, so many times--but likely may never do again. :smile
So applying by hand and buffing is different than waxing???

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The spray only gets a quick wipeoff/with maybe a couple of "buff" strokes. And there weren't no stinkin hand application process with the spray. :spank:
That's what i'm looking for. I'd rather be out riding than spend half the day detailing and waxing. I'll give the lucas oil spray a shot if i feel the shine armor doesn't live up to the hype

·
Registered
803 Posts
I just picked up a bottle of the Lucas Spray Mist at Wal-Mart last night for under $8.00 . . . I tried it out on both bikes and it does a nice job!

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The shine armor got delivered. I did a quick detail with it, and it does do a nice job. Very slick to the touch. I'll have to see how it handles dirt and bugs.

I must say, cleaning the wheels is huge pain in the a$$. Took the bags off to clean the rear wheel, and it was pretty dirty. I need to figure out a good method for cleaning them. How do you guys clean your wheels?

·
Registered
10,668 Posts
The shine armor got delivered. I did a quick detail with it, and it does do a nice job. Very slick to the touch. I'll have to see how it handles dirt and bugs.

I must say, cleaning the wheels is huge pain in the a$$. Took the bags off to clean the rear wheel, and it was pretty dirty. I need to figure out a good method for cleaning them. How do you guys clean your wheels?
My '16 RGU has the factory wheels. I clean the front with a damp cloth and then a dry cloth. Used to be I would occasionally wax the front one also but now that I'm using the Lucas Spray Mist and may never again use regular wax LOL I may just use the Lucas spray on the wheel also but been getting by just wiping it with the damp microfiber cloth. Now my rear wheel is a problem. The PO of my bike apparently never cleaned the rear much, if at all. And looks like he maybe got some road salt on the rear and never cleaned it off so my rear wheel ain't never gonna be as nice as I would like but I'm not about to buy a new rear wheel. At least, the rear wheel isn't really very noticeable. Heck, you can hardly even see much of it.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My '16 RGU has the factory wheels. I clean the front with a damp cloth and then a dry cloth. Used to be I would occasionally wax the front one also but now that I'm using the Lucas Spray Mist and may never again use regular wax LOL I may just use the Lucas spray on the wheel also but been getting by just wiping it with the damp microfiber cloth. Now my rear wheel is a problem. The PO of my bike apparently never cleaned the rear much, if at all. And looks like he maybe got some road salt on the rear and never cleaned it off so my rear wheel ain't never gonna be as nice as I would like but I'm not about to buy a new rear wheel. At least, the rear wheel isn't really very noticeable. Heck, you can hardly even see much of it.
That's pretty much what i did with the wheels. Damp microfiber, then dry. I can see people neglecting the rear wheel, cause you can't really see it and it's a PIA to get to and clean, but the PO may have never cleaned it? That's just wrong. I'll have to make an effort to at least wipe them down once a month. I love the fact that they have advanced products that replaces waxing. I always hated the whole process. I'll have to pick up a bottle of the Lucas Spray Mist.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
I have the factory chrome wheels on my '07 Ultra CVO. I put the bike up on the jack and lay on a creeper to get to the rear wheel. Removing the saddlebags helps. I use Turtle Wax chrome cleaner on the chrome because it cleans and shines the chrome. Sometimes I get carried away and wax afterwards with Collinite carnuba wax. Over the years I have used way to many to count of those miracle cleaners that didn't do a good job over time. Most didn't last very long either, even though the adds said they would last.

Anyone remember the "rub it easy, make it hard" cleaner? Sold a lot of t-shirts with that on the front, not much cleaner. :grin

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have the factory chrome wheels on my '07 Ultra CVO. I put the bike up on the jack and lay on a creeper to get to the rear wheel. Removing the saddlebags helps. I use Turtle Wax chrome cleaner on the chrome because it cleans and shines the chrome. Sometimes I get carried away and wax afterwards with Collinite carnuba wax. Over the years I have used way to many to count of those miracle cleaners that didn't do a good job over time. Most didn't last very long either, even though the adds said they would last.

Anyone remember the "rub it easy, make it hard" cleaner? Sold a lot of t-shirts with that on the front, not much cleaner. :grin
You have to take care of that chrome. i would do the same. You have to take the bags off if you want if done right. I'm thinking the miracle cleaners are all the same too. I've never used one that claims to have ceramic liquid in it, so i got excited lol

I wanna bring back that cleaner, just so i can wear that shirt! :smile

1 - 20 of 23 Posts