Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok......I've come down hard on a few members regarding the Shinko tires. Vintage tread. Vintage GoodYear carcass. Made by Shinko. (Yoshimura sell out)

Rated at 4 ply and 74H. That's 870 lbs.

What I found: soft, cushy ride. Love the look. Liked my bike better.....

Tires have old school tread design. That means old school handling. As I predicted....... Went around a corner only to start to feel the front end slide and start to wash (low side) on me. Hot black top. 50 miles on tire. Low speed. Not the tire for a bagger despite how much you want that vintage look. These are bobber tires for bar hoppers and light weight bikes: not recommended for full size cruisers IMH0. Great for a shovel/pan rebuild, but not daily use on a modern cruiser. Not on a 700+ lbs bike. Regardless of weight rating. Too narrow and sidewalls at tread crown not conducive with smooth turn in. Bike seemed to fall into corners.

Price: $80-102 shipped.
Appearance: 8 -10
Tread depth: insane
Weight rating: 870/74h

Not recommended for anything more than a sporty.

Forget the RoadKing vintage look.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
So after 50 miles on the tire you had "issues" with traction? Well, with any new motorcycle tire there is a break in period of about 200 miles. There are molding agents or whatever they are called that are on the surface of the treads on a new tire. You need to give them proper time to wear off. I had a set of shinko tires on my last bike and I had to go easy on them for a bit, roll too hard on the throttle and the rear end would get a little crazy. After a few hundred miles the thing stuck to the road.

Me personally, I'd run more than 50-100 miles before making a review on a tire that's hardly been broken in. Just my $.02

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Office Linebacker
1,218 Posts
Great review, Dave.
Duly noted on the Shinkos.

Thanks for that.
DeeDay

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
I'd trust Dave's review. knows his chit.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
So after 50 miles on the tire you had "issues" with traction? Well, with any new motorcycle tire there is a break in period of about 200 miles. There are molding agents or whatever they are called that are on the surface of the treads on a new tire. You need to give them proper time to wear off. I had a set of shinko tires on my last bike and I had to go easy on them for a bit, roll too hard on the throttle and the rear end would get a little crazy. After a few hundred miles the thing stuck to the road.

Me personally, I'd run more than 50-100 miles before making a review on a tire that's hardly been broken in. Just my $.02

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I agree with you 100%. But there's a huge difference between a slide due to release agent on a tire, and a slow, long slide on a corner after you've done nothing but windy back roads 48 miles prior with more spirited riding and no issues......at low speeds. (15-20 mph)

The fact remains the tire is an antiquated tread design not compatible with a large bike on corners. You'll find many more reviews with the same opinions and results. Its like moving backwards with technology for appearance or to show off, with no regards to performance.

Either it works or it doesn't. I've never felt a tire change the characteristics of a bike as much as these did. Again.....I feel vehicle weight is an issue. But these are what would be used on a shovelhead bagger as well.

200 mile break in?

For what its worth, I've ridden on probably 50 tires (25 sets) of brand new tires on the track, with 1-2 laps warm up and never slipped, slid or trailed like I did today. No warmers prior as well either. New.....off the truck. 100+ miles an hour into corners.

Yes tires have release agent on them. But once a tire is scuffed, its scuffed. These are scuffed. Tits are gone, as is the ink used for trueness guide. It is what it is.....

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Left is new. Never mounted.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
When I first bought my old 1967 FLH,(heavy bike) many years ago, it came with Goodyear Speed-Grips.(sob to break off the rim if you had a flat along side the rode, trust me on that)
Tire was ok for just rolling down the straight tarmac, but try to hold a steady line in a corner and it was a true balancing act once up on the corner of that square tire, and at expessway speeds, in traffic, it commanded your FULL attention, and then some.
Oh did I mention that in the rain, they brought a new meaning to the word "uncomfortable".
I replaced those with Avon 130/90/16's years ago and have run those since.
I thought Coker Tire had that double-stripe vintage tire available, but was unaware of that Shinko model.
Scott

·
Registered
754 Posts
Nice write up Dave. I was looking at these for my deluxe and also worried about grip in the corners. I ride alot in the NC mountains and grip is a concern.

My son has them on his shovel bobber. He road with me last year up to chimney rock and then on the parkway to Mnt Mitchel, and down 70. A lot of hard S turns on 70. He said they did good and had no problems but he also does not push it. I suspect his bike is around 500 Lbs.

My deluxe is 700 plus so I don't think I will chance it. They do look good on his bike though.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Oh, a question we should ask. That turn with the washout. Was that with the knee dragging or a normal sweeping turn?

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh, a question we should ask. That turn with the washout. Was that with the knee dragging or a normal sweeping turn?
Flat, clean macadam. Caught me by surprise. Felt front start to wash. Started to put left foot down, rolled throttle hard and hoped for best. Had 5 other bikes behind me.

·
Wayward Son
23,316 Posts
True.

Always wondered why people go through the sign up process to make a post like that though.
Did a google search lead them to it?
Just bored so they go digging through the Board? Only to attempt to bust the chops of one of the best, though absent, Wrenches here.
Thinking Dave knows what he has. Can be read right on the tire.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts