Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I got this 2009 Harley Softail from a dealer in New Hampshire. Paid $700 to ship "to the door". It took 1 week for it to get to LA. I was tracking it on the internet. It sat in LA for 2 days. Finally, I called the shipper. They said the bike is in Anaheim depot 50 miles from my home and I need to make arrangements to pick up. They said the crate is 9' x 4' 900 lbs and unsafe for their lift gate. I called the dealer and told him and he said he would tell the representative from his company and he would get in touch with the shipper and tell them to do their job. I called the shipper back and they said nobody had called. So, I make arrangement for a taxi to go up, un-crate it and drive home. Then I think, I don't want to carry all those tools home on the bike. So, I call them back and ask if they have tools to un-crate the bike. "no we don't have any tools" So, I cancel the taxi and now I have a 12' trailer with a ramp scheduled for Monday morning. What a *u*king joke. Their motto is " We ship anything, anywhere, anytime"

·
Fla Cajun
25,353 Posts
So, I got this 2009 Harley Softail from a dealer in New Hampshire. Paid $700 to ship "to the door". It took 1 week for it to get to LA. I was tracking it on the internet. It sat in LA for 2 days. Finally, I called the shipper. They said the bike is in Anaheim depot 50 miles from my home and I need to make arrangements to pick up. They said the crate is 9' x 4' 900 lbs and unsafe for their lift gate. I called the dealer and told him and he said he would tell the representative from his company and he would get in touch with the shipper and tell them to do their job. I called the shipper back and they said nobody had called. So, I make arrangement for a taxi to go up, un-crate it and drive home. Then I think, I don't want to carry all those tools home on the bike. So, I call them back and ask if they have tools to un-crate the bike. "no we don't have any tools" So, I cancel the taxi and now I have a 12' trailer with a ramp scheduled for Monday morning. What a *u*king joke. Their motto is " We ship anything, anywhere, anytime"

Sounds like R&L......but to be fair, i'm in the LTL bussiness. You cain't liftgate a 9' pallet or crate. As a matter of fact, your pallet jack prolly won't pick it up, it's to long. Make sure you git your liftgate charge taken off the bill.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like R&L......but to be fair, i'm in the LTL bussiness. You cain't liftgate a 9' pallet or crate. As a matter of fact, your pallet jack prolly won't pick it up, it's to long. Make sure you git your liftgate charge taken off the bill.
It is R&L. And yes, the seller has told me he's asking them for $60.00 lift drop charge to be sent to them and they will send to me.
But:

National Powersports Crate Loading/Unloading Proceedure - YouTube

and even if they don't have a lift gate big enough, they said "to the front door" THEY should be renting a trailer to transport to ME. They were paid by the seller to ship it to me.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Dang my old eyes, I thought thread said strippers.....lol

Anyways, tough break on the troubles with shipping. Reminds me of the local fast food stores, my burgers never look like the pictures in the window.

·
Registered
36,998 Posts
What's this world coming to?

Even K-Mart will let you ship your pants right there in the store!

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
Bummer to hear. Makes me glad that when I shipped a bike a couple years ago it went dealer to my door with out a hitch. But it wasn't R&L either.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I would say they need to take the liftgate service charge as well as the delivery to your door charge off. Those should be 2 separate charges. It's always been cheaper to pick up stuff at the terminal. I have dealt with Roadway in the past on smaller items, and they should forklift the crate into your pickup truck or trailer. Luckily for me all the major truck terminals are all in or near Chester, VA for some reason so I don't have to drive the 50 miles.

·
Fla Cajun
25,353 Posts
Yes sir, i forgot.....git your residential delivery charge taken off to. I had a pallet of tile the other day that was 3000 lbs, it was a residential, liftgate to. we handed it off to a local same day delivery co. They could have handled the situation a little better.

·
Remember
413 Posts
I just had my bike shipped from Alabama to Kentucky. I used TRW Motorsports through Uship.

Timothy Ware - Bay Saint Louis, Mississippi | Get Quotes for Transport

Tim Ware is the guys name. He did a fantastic job at a reasonable price. A true professional. He has an enclosed trailer and does motorcycles almost exclusively. He works for many dealers. He is mainly in the Southeast. I would use him again in a minute.

·
Señor Member
19,599 Posts
I get this, but then they shouldn't have told him "to the door."

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
bull shit they cant unload it at your door . they dont know what the heck there doing stupid but heads. i drive truck for a living i have unloaded i dont know how many wierd things from a truck. id complain and post and bit ch and what ever else i could do.
call the scale house report them halling dope you name it i would do it. basterds.
oh man this crap ticks me off lazy SOBS

·
Fla Cajun
25,353 Posts
They did'nt want to be liable if it were to fall off the liftgate. It depends on how it was crated whether it could be done safely. Some crates are built for a forklift to pick it up from the side, and a pallet jack won't pick it up from the end. Even if you band a pallet to it from the end, a 9' long crate will tip w/a 4' pallet jack under it, ya still got 5' hangin off. I'm pretty sure it was a liability issue.

·
Señor Member
19,599 Posts
They did'nt want to be liable if it were to fall off the liftgate. It depends on how it was crated whether it could be done safely. Some crates are built for a forklift to pick it up from the side, and a pallet jack won't pick it up from the end. Even if you band a pallet to it from the end, a 9' long crate will tip w/a 4' pallet jack under it, ya still got 5' hangin off. I'm pretty sure it was a liability issue.
I still agree.

But I still think they shouldn't have said to the door.

·
Fla Cajun
25,353 Posts
I still agree.

But I still think they shouldn't have said to the door.
That is 100% correct, it should have been specified as dock pick-up at the time of shipping. I'm not taking up for the trucking co. they were wrong, but this happens when two different terminals don't communicate, it happens all the time. A driver is told to make a pick-up, he makes it. the shipper loads it with a forklift and all is good. When it gits to the delivering terminal they make the decision on what they want to do. It don't allways jive with what the shipping terminal agreed to. Two totally different sets of terminal managers an dispatchers. I've been in similar situations, terminal in NJ picks up a 3000lb crate of tile, bill says residential delivery and liftgate. Our liftgates are 2500 lb max. I cain't drag a 3000 lb crate of tile up a driveway, so when it arrives we have a problem.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, I'm over it now. I got a check from the Seller who got reimbursed from the shipper for $60.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
And here she is now.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts