Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious. I don't have a service manual yet and it's not mentioned in the owner's manual. Just wondering if the shocks on the dyna's have any sort of quick-set adjustment? I've seen some vehicles that have shock adjustment where you just twist the shock to increase or decrease tension a little bit. I took a quick look at mine and can't tell by just looking.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Can't say for sure on the '07's, but they should have a preload adjustment on the rear shocks. You need to buy the spanner wrench, but you should be able to shorten or lengthen them by using the wrench to twist and adjust for a stiffer/softer ride.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I believe you can also use a nylon strap wrench to adjust the Dyna shocks preload as well.

If you haven't looked into Progressive 440's do yourself a favor and check them out.

This place has the best price I've seen on them. The difference is impressive over stock. The progressive 440's dampen on the compression stroke as well as the extention stroke. Soaks up bumps like crazy, and smooth in the flats.

·
Registered
188 Posts
a strap wrench will work. mine were set at 1 phrom the dealer. i think clockwise increases the preload, and counterclockwise decreases it.

use your spanner or strap wrench to rotate the bottom collar of the shock to either increase or decrease.

you can look up underneath the collar at the bottom of the shock and see how they sit. you should also see some numbers corresponding to the preload setting.

FYI - increasing the preload will also raise the ride height.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll take a better look - I'm sure that's it though. My 4-wheeler has a similar adjustment on the rear. I'm just curious what mine is set to and what the differences are. It seems to ride fine to me as-is but my wife really complains that it gives her the itches from the vibration when she rides. So, I'm wondering if changing the preload might help when she's on the back. I weigh about 235 so I'm betting I could stand a click or two more of preload anyway. I know the dealer didn't make any adjustment to it for me when I took delivery.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.