Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was deadest on getting a road king, but today I went up to the local shop and sat on a few bikes and boy o boy am I really impressed with the feel of a street glide. I never thought id like something that big, but with the low seat and low center of gravity, the SG was just...majestic. Now, I am so torn. I know you can get into some big money with a SG, but I know you can just as well as a RK. Oh the choices.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Get the one you want now because you will sooner or later end up with it!!!

·
Registered
690 Posts
Trust me .. You can get into big money no matter what you buy. The thing with these bikes is that once you get it, you'll start thinking of what to add on and then it never stops.

·
Registered
36,973 Posts
Trust me .. You can get into big money no matter what you buy. The thing with these bikes is that once you get it, you'll start thinking of what to add on and then it never stops.
Yup!

Get whichever one is closest to your vision of what you think the perfect bike is. There's stuff we all change no matter what bike it is.

·
Earth-bound Misfit
607 Posts
Ain't life grand...when your biggest problem is which one of two great new bikes to buy? Enjoy whichever one you choose!

·
THE Yuppie Outlaw
10,081 Posts
It really comes down to fairing or no fairing.

Personally I prefer the openness and removable wind shield on the King.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It really comes down to fairing or no fairing.

Personally I prefer the openness and removable wind shield on the King.
That's what I am kind of thinking as well. Half my problem is im a short guy and the roadking sits a bit more forward and higher than the street glide. My first bike was a sportster that I drove with no shield for a year, then rode with a shield for a year and it is a huge difference. No shield is a bit more taxing but you cant beat that feeling. And I could be wrong, but cant you buy a detachable fairing for the roadking? not sure how much money you would get into with something like that, but then id feel you could really get the best of both worlds. I currently cant go test ride or even sit on anything due to an injury I got while active duty, but I am trying to get opinions so I can start my research so I don't make a bad buy.

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,383 Posts
If you wanna do the detach fairing, get the king and add a fairing to it, to make the SG detachable, you would have to take it off, and convert the bike to a RK then add a removable fairing, since th SG has the headlight, gauges, stereo all mounted to the fairing. As far as sitting more forward and such, just change the seat. All the touring bikes have the same frame so its just shock height, bars, and seat is the only difference in how they sit.

·
THE Yuppie Outlaw
10,081 Posts
Also, you can get a much more
Comfortable, lower and very good looking seat and a lower suspension for less than the difference between the two bikes......I think.

I am tall so mine is all for aesthetics, but here is my lowered king next to a stock king.

ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1397571494.678505.jpg

ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1397571511.626729.jpg

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have to second the RK with a detachable fairing if you really want the ability to ride with just a windshield or without one at all. I think you can get the RK and something like a quadzilla painted with radio for less than what you would spend on a stock SG. I considered this before buying my SG but in the end I knew I'd probably not ever take the fairing off. But to each his own and that's the beauty of it all.

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,383 Posts
Id have to check, maybe someone can confirm, but I think the king has a thicker seat, and 13" shocks where the street has 12" shocks and a lil shorter seat, thats why it feel lower and further back. Now you could probably get the king, progressive shocks and the fairing with stereo, and be able to detach and go back to nothing or windshield for about the same price as a street glide. Just another option.

·
Registered
72 Posts
If you get the Road King you will likely sooner or later end up with a Street Glide. I have had both, and I wouldn't give up my fairing and radio for anything now. JMHO :)

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
Do yourself a favor, and test ride all of them.....then buy the Road Glide once you test ride that too. :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Do yourself a favor, and test ride all of them.....then buy the Road Glide once you test ride that too. :)
i just want the bike that is in your avatar. The color, the stretched bags, I wish I could see the picture bigger but from the avatar id almost kill for that bike.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts