Harley Davidson Forums banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2007 FLHX
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Dan I have the rear fender light assmly disconnected from the main feed, and from the individual light bulb connectors. I see a short between the pins that give 12v to the bulbs and the pin that connects to the black or Ground

·
Registered
108 Posts
Ok, I may be slow but in crayon version, are you seeing the short at the plug that is connected to the light assembly and part of the assembly or the plug the feeds it? If you see it on the light assembly side, be sure the bulbs are not installed as you will see continuity through the bulb. If bulb is removed and you still get continuity, then you are right on top of the problem and should be fairly quick to find, if from the feed side, then you need to go up stream toward switches and fuse a bit to isolate.

·
Retired citizen
26,037 Posts
Oops ! I = V ÷ R equals .008666 amps ! So that 1500 ohms resistance isn't causing the 30 amp fuse to blow, something else is.

Reactions: Dan89flstc

·
Registered
2007 FLHX
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Well I'm stumped for now. I had it all working after disconnecting the rear brake pedal swch. Turns horn and front brake lever brake light working. Then I tripped the two wires to brake line swch, and fuse blew. Org/wht and red/blu are the wires to rear brake swch.
Apparently the red/blu goes to the brake relay. So that's where I'm at now. I have these two wires open and no problem now. All lights and horn ok. Fuse not blowing.
The swch is faulty too btw. Open circuit with pedal up or down.

·
Registered
2007 FLHX
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Well Holy shit I think I found the short.

I hadn't paid that much attention to many connections behind the batwing because the short was popping the accessory fuse and look like it was brake relay wiring related.
After looking at all the connections the ORG-WHT wire made I decided to unplug some connectors to watch the resistance drop. I had a 791 ohm short to grn with Ign on. When I unplugged the Tach it went open 😃 .
The loom of wires were riding on the edge of the Stereo lip. I could see a arched burnt wire through the black wrap. Cut it open and it was the Busy org/why wire with the arch damage.

Now just need a new rear brake switch and I can enjoy the Glide ride again 🚬

·
Registered
2007 FLHX
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Bumper I did go to the Harley website to get the wiring diagrams. I wouldn't have found the grounded wire without them likely. I thought the problem was in the Brake circuit. I had no idea before the diagrams that the Org/wht wire went to so many components.

I got a 50mile trip on it yesterday to go to the dealer for the rear Brake swch and a tailight pigtail. No problems.. just satisfaction that I fixed it myself! So I used my front brakes in combo with the rear so I'd have a active brake light for safety. I raced mx many years so I'm always on the front brake anyway.

While I had the wing off I took the opportunity to get rid of the cigarette lighter and install a USB dual port charger in its place.

Thanks to all on the direction on this problem.

Deano

21 - 30 of 30 Posts