Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I'm curious if anyone has seen something like this before. It is connected to the positive battery terminal and has a wire that appears to go to the ignition module. Any ideas what it's for? Should the burnt/melt spot worry me? Any help is appreciated. image.jpg

·
Registered
569 Posts
It looks a lot like a typical 30 amp, 12 volt automatically resetting circuit breaker to me. I think any burned marks on an electrical part are cause for worry. I guess the question would be did it burn up a long time ago or is there a present problem? Have you checked with a volt meter to see if power is still coming through it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Glad to hear you say "typical". Is this something that would have come with the bike? The background is fairly simple but there are quite a few unknowns, like how long that burn spot may have been there. I inherited this 1983 FLH. The previous owner is deceased so I obviously can't ask about any history. My brother and I have done some maintenance and just got it running last week. I didn't check with the volt meter but it is running so at least power is getting through. Mainly I was just curious if it was supposed to be there. I'm pretty new to Harleys, or motorcycles in general. Again, thanks for the info

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
That is the main breaker, they used to mount them right on the battery like that.

They`re cheap, and you can find them at any auto parts supplier.

You can get them with mounting brackets also, so you could relocate it to a better spot somewhere near the battery instead of right on the battery. I never liked the idea of that breaker hanging out on that strip of copper, always looked to me like an after thought.

·
Retired citizen
23,386 Posts
If that's mounted to the positive terminal on the starter in series with the positive battery cable, get rid of it. The starter can draw upwards of 90 amps when cranking the engine over. 30a breaker ain't gonna do anything but cause problems.

·
Registered
39,571 Posts
If that's mounted to the positive terminal on the starter in series with the positive battery cable, get rid of it. The starter can draw upwards of 90 amps when cranking the engine over. 30a breaker ain't gonna do anything but cause problems.
The starter cable bypasses that breaker.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info everyone. Dan, I'm with you. It just seems weird hanging off the battery like that. I'll look for a new one like you suggested.

·
Retired citizen
23,386 Posts
Ok, I just checked the OP's profile. '83 FLH ! That would be the breaker that connects the solenoid wires to the battery positive terminal. Definitely need that.

·
Just Ride
3,261 Posts
That breaker might be for the voltage regulator.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
That breaker might be for the voltage regulator.
It is the 30 amp main breaker. It protects the wiring between the battery and the three 15 amp breakers (accessory, lights, ignition)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts