Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the wise gentlemen of the Forums advised me that if I were to lower the front end of the Queen that the jiffy stand would have to be shortened. Can I anticipate that the dealership service department technicians will be able to handle this task in a seamless manner?

·
2007 Ultra Classic
1,285 Posts
Before you get into all this, I have a question.

Have you considered just shortening the front of the seat and cutting part of it out?

I don't know how aggressive a rider you are, but many have had some issues with lowering the bike. The first time you start dragging parts in the curves, you will know what I am talking about.

How much do you need to gain and have you considered a customizing of your seat? That gets your feet flat on the ground and still maintains the integrity of the handling.

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
Different styles of seats may be helpful as well - some are more narrow toward the front, some "push" your butt forward so that you are closer to the narrow part, and some are just plain flatter.

Shortening the stand is straightforward - just measure and cut as much out of the middle as you need, then weld the "foot" back on again. Thing is, you'll need a means of keeping the bike upright while all that is taking place.

Something else to think about - if you are changing the geometry of the front of the bike, you should consider a like adjustment to the rear as well.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am not aggressive on a motorcycle by any means.

I did not think that customizing the seat would make that much of a difference, but that sounds silly to me know as I write it. I think my hesitation is that I love the Sundowner Solo and did not want to become uncomfortable on it.

The back has been lowered....does that mean the front should be lowered? I have been told so, but what do I know.

·
2007 Ultra Classic
1,285 Posts
Geometry is not my strong suit so take this with a grain of salt.

I have heard that you can lower the back (within reason) and not the front, but you should never lower the front and not the back.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,201 Posts
Ya'know, if you could just wave your wand and have any product you wanted,
somebody could easily build an effective gyroscopic stabilizer unit for a heavy motorcycle.

I would guess something the size and weight of a 10 lb iron plate weight from a barbell set,
if it was mounted close up under the bike's frame, pretty much out of sight, with it's axis up and down,
with a rider control, it could be spun up to very high speed when the bike slowed to a stop,
it would result in a force that would resist lean so much that the bike could stand up by itself,
so that the need to be able reach the ground with significant leverage
to control the bike's weight would be eliminated.

It could work well enough that you'd have to spin the gyro down to park the bike
and lean it over on it's kick stand.

The gyroscopic force's axis being vertical would allow the bike to steer around
corners and in parking lots at dead slow speeds, without fighting the gyro action.

The gyro would need to spin down quickly when the bike comes up to speed
so it would not interfere with the handling.

I want a cut if anybody develops this idea. I'm sure it's been patented long ago.

With so many boomer-bikers these days, maybe there would be a market?

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,201 Posts
:confused:Hmmmmmmmnnnnnnnnnnnn:confused:
Short version, slowing to a stop, flip a switch, you don't have to put your feet down.
Even if you get off.

Pulling away, turn the switch off, or you can't lean into corners.

It's simple physics.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Short version, slowing to a stop, flip a switch, you don't have to put your feet down.
Even if you get off.

Pulling away, turn the switch off, or you can't lean into corners.

It's simple physics.
Thanks Nate. I got that. My current befuddlement is regarding this whole entire lowering thing. Do the seat, do the front end, don't do the front end because of handling, shorten the jiffy stand.....

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
Can you fit comfortably on the bike without lowering it?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts