Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am leaving tomorrow from Cali to Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming for 10 days.
Got everything ready, I want to bring along a friend named Ruger, anybody know how these states are about carrying wo a permit?
I know what Cali is like, I am more concerned with being out of state.

Thanks

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,522 Posts
Oregon is probably as bad as Comifornia. Idaho and Wyoming will probably give you a ticket for NOT carrying. Seriously, check that link...be safe.

·
Wayward Son
23,356 Posts

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
Maybe he's transporting, not carrying?

--

·
Registered
106 Posts
I live in Idaho and if you carry concealed without a permit they will nail your ass. They want everyone to have a permit.

·
CRSO
344 Posts
Check www.handgunlaw.us

As a certified instructor, I can tell you that if you plan on carrying concealed in Oregon and you get caught, you'll go to jail.
Oregon does not honor anyone else's concealed carry licenses (if you happen to have one from another state).
Assuming you're talking about going on a motorcycle, the most legal way to transport your friend Ruger is unloaded, and locked in the saddlebags.
This method complies with federal law; Title18 of the US CFR, section 926a and is applicable for all the states you listed.
In Oregon if the handgun is concealed, and within the drivers' reach within a vehicle, you must have an Oregon concealed handgun license. It doesn't matter if it's loaded or unloaded (ORS 166.250).

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
691 Posts
Based on what these folks said, it doesn't seem to be worth the risk. If the laws are that tough in Oregon, you can bet the state troopers are looking to pull people over for any reason.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, thanks guys for all the info I really appreciate it all and this forum is the best. After considering the risk of being pulled over in Oregon or any place else and getting cuffed or to jail I will leave Ruger at home. Hopefully if needed my 8 inch hunting knife will be my go to weapon of choice.

·
Behind Enemy Lines
287 Posts
Don't forget to check knife laws too. CA has a plethora of knife laws in the local level which are all over the place and which most cops are not familiar with.

·
Registered
39,742 Posts
In addition to what's already been said, when you get back from your trip, look into getting a nonresident Utah CCH permit.

Won't help in CA or OR, but its the best deal going for nonresident CCH permits.

·
Behind Enemy Lines
287 Posts
Both FL and UT have non resident CCW permits. Between the both of them, you can get reciprocity in more than 30 states or something like that.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Ok now for all of the "Legal Eagles" out there , here is how to get around all of the handgun laws on the books, yes even in DC .

Get yerselfs one of these : Pietta Model 1860 Army .44 Caliber Revolver : Cabela's

and one of theses : America's Gun Store, LLC : Triple K Mfg - Western Holsters, Belts, Scabbards, Saddlebags, Black Powder

And a copy of the "The Gun Control Act of 1968, Public Law 90-618"

You may not beat the ride, but you will beat the rap.

And if you would like to make a few bucks out of the deal, contact any of the Public Law firms for a nice Law Suite for " Unlawful Detention", "False Arrest" , " Officer Misconduct" .

:coffee:

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
Nice idea webco,

Except maybe in a few states

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,522 Posts
Based on what these folks said, it doesn't seem to be worth the risk. If the laws are that tough in Oregon, you can bet the state troopers are looking to pull people over for any reason.
I've been through Oregon several times. Had a sidearm every trip, but it was unloaded and locked in the side bag with ammo OUT OF THE MAGAZINE and locked in the other bag. As long as you don't get too impatient with the mandatory 55 mph max speed limit in three state, I can't recall ever even seeing a trooper.

·
Senile Member
1,713 Posts
Oregon is probably as bad as Comifornia. Idaho and Wyoming will probably give you a ticket for NOT carrying. Seriously, check that link...be safe.
Oregon is no where near as bad as California. Not even remotely.
I have a or & Utah permit and carry concealed and open EVERYWHERE, except gov't crap and the usual. With a permit, you can carry in cities that say no open carry. If you don't have a permit, then you can't open carry in like 6 counties in OR. You can carry (TRANSPORT) a gun everywhere in the west, but the gun needs to be in a locked box (the little box it came in with a cheap little lock on it) and ammo separate. Then keep your saddle bags locked. If you’re camping out, then you can unpack it and keep it under your pillow. If you’re just beboppin around from hotel to hotel and friends places, you don’t need a gun anywhere.

A greater concern you should have is your California plate. Remember the last scene in Easy Rider with the 2 rednecks in the pickup? That or run off the road or car doored, or lighting your bike on fire in front of your hotel room in the middle of the night. People tend to pop the cork on your oil tank and dump their ash trays or bark dust in there. People just hate to see Cali license plates on vehicles up here. I’d get a locking oil tank cap if I were you. I got one a couple years ago and love it.

max speed limits:
Oregon 65
Washington 70
Idaho 75
Utah 80

The Guardian Oil Cap

1 - 20 of 91 Posts