Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Administrator
13,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like a deal at $200. Seems complete. Going to ask how many miles are on it.

Deal or no deal? Thinking of getting this for the '05 FXD.

Used Screaming Eagle camplate kit.
99-06 softails.
Has new aftermarket shoes, Cleaned and great shape.
Pump and plate has light scoring. Won't affect the pressure.
I have the front sprockets n chain. Forgot to add it in the pic.

This also requires a spacer kit. There sold separately.

Overall great condition.

I upgrades to a feuling setup.

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SOLD. dang. I waited.

Nothing wrong. I have the '05 with the spring loaded tensioners at 34k miles. I would like to upgrade for the right price. $500 for the kit from HD seems a little rich for me. Might just go back with OEM again.

·
Banned
71 Posts
SOLD. dang. I waited.

Nothing wrong. I have the '05 with the spring loaded tensioners at 34k miles. I would like to upgrade for the right price. $500 for the kit from HD seems a little rich for me. Might just go back with OEM again.
Just as well...there are some bearings and keepers missing from that plate .

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Put a set of Cyco shoes on the OE tensioners, if you want, Drag Specialties has a GREAT pump with larger gears that we've used now several times.:thumbsup:thumbsup
Only $150.00.
Scott

·
Administrator
13,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Put a set of Cyco shoes on the OE tensioners, if you want, Drag Specialties has a GREAT pump with larger gears that we've used now several times.:thumbsup:thumbsup
Only $150.00.
Scott
Cyco's website was a mess. Couldn't find what I was looking for with a price.

I checked J&P and didn't see the Drag Specialties Oil Pump.
This was $232 and it's Made in USA http://www.jpcycles.com/product/176-605

I'll keep looking around.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Drag's got 'em on page 704 2015 Fatbook.
Part # 0932-0090 for the late model bikes.
0932-0089 for the 99-06'ers.:thumbsup
Scott

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,118 Posts
Cyco's website was a mess. Couldn't find what I was looking for with a price.

I checked J&P and didn't see the Drag Specialties Oil Pump.
This was $232 and it's Made in USA Feuling OE Plus Oil Pump | 176-605 | J&P Cycles

I'll keep looking around.
Roy, do yourself a favor, talk to Scott, do business with him, you won't be sorry. If your gonna pull the cams, and be at the collision, I'll bring my puller/installer you can use it.

·
Administrator
13,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll more likely be on mama bear for collision. Thanks though.

·
Administrator
13,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks!!

·
Registered
42,600 Posts
Why is that DS pump housing split into 2 pieces like that?

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Must be how they manufactured it?
Take a look at S&S's pump/plate combo in their engines.
VERY robust.
Scott

·
Administrator
13,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I sent this to Scott this morning. I may start a new thread since I will have a couple $'s to start on the tensioner upgrade.

I am starting to get ready to look at my cam chain tensioners, almost 35k miles ('05 FXD). I love my current performance. I love my mileage (about 44mpg).

Besides the obvious with my ballpark pricing estimates:
Cyco tensioner shoes and tool ($40)
Adjustable Pushrods ($150)
Cam Cover gasket set ($100)
Tensioner Tool with pins ($40)

Should I opt for the DS oil pump for $150?
Do I need to change the cams and lifters?
Do I need to change the cam bearings?

This is my daily commuter bike. About 75 to 100 miles per weekday. Texas heat in the summers. I ride year round, so some days are freezing. I run 20w50 HD dino oil in the motor.

Thoughts, suggestions, redirection? I am looking to stay on a tight budget and not change the bike up. I already stomp the 103 baggers Probably just in shear weight differential.

I'm opening this up for general input.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,118 Posts
I sent this to Scott this morning. I may start a new thread since I will have a couple $'s to start on the tensioner upgrade.

I am starting to get ready to look at my cam chain tensioners, almost 35k miles ('05 FXD). I love my current performance. I love my mileage (about 44mpg).

Besides the obvious with my ballpark pricing estimates:
Cyco tensioner shoes and tool ($40)
Cam Cover gasket set ($100)

Should I opt for the DS oil pump for $150?
Do I need to change the cams and lifters?
Do I need to change the cam bearings?

This is my daily commuter bike. About 75 to 100 miles per weekday. Texas heat in the summers. I ride year round, so some days are freezing. I run 20w50 HD dino oil in the motor.

Thoughts, suggestions, redirection? I am looking to stay on a tight budget and not change the bike up. I already stomp the 103 baggers Probably just in shear weight differential.

I'm opening this up for general input.
I just went through this myself, for what its worth, here's my .02.

I pulled mine down at 25K, everything looked okay tensioners might have made another 20K but I didn't want to deal with it again.

Change cam bearings, yes. Lifters, yes. Tensioners, yes. Cams?? Your call your happy with em.
You have to go with the adjustable push rods to avoid opening the heads.
Also replace three o rings in the cam case.
I sent my plate cams and all to Scott, he did the cams and beefed my oil pump up, also set me up with a "plug and play" cam change kit, lifters and all. Entire thing cost me close to 8 bills that includes what I blew at Harley for misc parts.

Cam cover set?? all you need is three o rings and the gasket for the cover.

I don't expect to be back in that engine till it hits 75K or I croak which ever comes first.

·
Administrator
13,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Change cam bearings, yes. Lifters, yes. Tensioners, yes Cams??
You have to go with the adjustable push rods to avoid opening the heads.
Also replace three o rings in the cam case.
I sent my plate cams and all to Scott, he did the cams and beefed my oil pump up, also set me up with a "plug and play" cam change kit, lifters and all. Entire thing cost me close to 8 bills that includes what I blew at Harley for misc parts.

Cam cover set?? all you need is three o rings and the gasket for the cover...
Hillsidecycleco said:
Roy,
By rights you do not need another pump if yours is in good shape, and unless those lifters are noisy, or the roller has play in it when you inspect it, I'd run those as well.
I WOULD change those OE cam bearings to a full needle bearing.
Feel free to give us a holler if you'd like.
Scott
There is no noise coming out of the engine at all. This is 100% preemptive.

I am assuming a lot based on my evo knowledge and lack of twinkie knowledge. I will be reading my manual this weekend. But I believe I have to go with adjustable pushrods no matter what so I can stay out of the top end.

Sounds like the bearings are a must, but oil pump, lifters and cams may be good to go.

Cyco tensioner shoes and tool ($60)
Cam Cover gasket set ($50)
Cam Bearing Tools ($150)
Cam Bearings ($15)
Exhaust gasket ($10)

I'm looking at ~$500

·
Banned
71 Posts
There is no noise coming out of the engine at all. This is 100% preemptive.

I am assuming a lot based on my evo knowledge and lack of twinkie knowledge. I will be reading my manual this weekend. But I believe I have to go with adjustable pushrods no matter what so I can stay out of the top end.

Sounds like the bearings are a must, but oil pump, lifters and cams may be good to go.

Cyco tensioner shoes and tool ($60)
Cam Cover gasket set ($50)
Cam Bearing Tools ($150)
Cam Bearings ($15)
Exhaust gasket ($10)

I'm looking at ~$500
You doing all of the labor yourself ????

Lots of folks who do the labor , skip the adjustable push rods and add cams to it . SE211 are very popular cams for that bike .

You can get a bearing puller from Advance auto for free, and use an old cam to install the new bearings with .

You really don't need a "tool" to replace the shoes on the old arms .

If you are replacing cams anyway, no need for the tensioner tool either .

See your cams are paid for with savings from not buying un-needed tools . :thumb

:biker:

·
Administrator
13,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You doing all of the labor yourself ????

Lots of folks who do the labor , skip the adjustable push rods and add cams to it . SE211 are very popular cams for that bike .

You can get a bearing puller from Advance auto for free, and use an old cam to install the new bearings with .

You really don't need a "tool" to replace the shoes on the old arms .

If you are replacing cams anyway, no need for the tensioner tool either .

See your cams are paid for with savings from not buying un-needed tools . :thumb

:biker:
Yes, I try to do all my own work. The exception was when I got the new motor for Mama Bear (to keep the 2 year warranty)

Hmmmm, might Autozone have the right puller (we don't have Advance around here)?
The shoe tool is only $20 and makes it look real easy.

It looks like whether I replace the cams or not, the pushrods have to be replaced with adjustable or the heads have to come off. It looks like either way, you still need to relieve the pressure on the chain too. Seems like that tool is needed.

What will the SE211 do to my 44mpg? I don't want to screw that up. From searching the web, that cam doesn't seem to be a great match with an otherwise stock motor and I don't want to buy a tuner.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Yes, I try to do all my own work. The exception was when I got the new motor for Mama Bear (to keep the 2 year warranty)

Hmmmm, might Autozone have the right puller (we don't have Advance around here)?
The shoe tool is only $20 and makes it look real easy.

It looks like whether I replace the cams or not, the pushrods have to be replaced with adjustable or the heads have to come off. It looks like either way, you still need to relieve the pressure on the chain too. Seems like that tool is needed.

What will the SE211 do to my 44mpg? I don't want to screw that up. From searching the web, that cam doesn't seem to be a great match with an otherwise stock motor and I don't want to buy a tuner.
You don't pull the heads , just the head covers and loosen the rocker arms up .

When you pull the cam plate, you can use a lever( flat bladed screw driver) and 2 nails to lock the tensioners .
After the cams come out of the plate , you use plyers to hold tensioners and pull the nail, release tension on spring. Replace in reverse order .

SE211 gives you more top end, SE203 gives you more bottom end .( SE203's are what I choose to use in my bagger)

JMHO

Edit: AutoZone has the blindhole bearing puller .

·
Administrator
13,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm thinking simple cam bearing and tensioner shoe replacement. I might still opt for the tools (maybe I'll get lucky on some used ones) because I don't want to take the chance I have the bike down because my local auto parts store doesn't have the right one. Plus the installer has a step to get the right depth.

Wow, this was really good.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts