Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just picked my bike up and have yet to ride it to much, my question is this. Should I loosen the tight side of this front axle clamp and proportionally even it out? I will try to get a picture hooked up, forgive me i’m new at this and don’t even know how to reply to individual comments yet.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well I can’t figure out how to thumbnail a picture so I’ll just say, the clamp underneath of the fork is completely tight on the front side and has an almost 1/8” gap on the back. Also the rear stud bolt is shorter but still sticks out past the nut a ways, so it that shouldn’t matter to much.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Go by what the Owners manual and/or Service manual says for your year/make/model. They are specific!

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
If I just picked up my 2019 HD, I would take it back to the dealer and ask them to properly install and tighten the front axle. They shouldn't give you a hard time as this could be a safety issue.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, I forgot to mention she’s an oldie. 84 flat. Shade tree done.

·
Just Ride
3,036 Posts
Loosen the front nut,then tighten evenly to specified torque.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I figured out why they had the front right. Loosened it, tightened the back to even it out, then went to torque them down 10ftlbs and notice the front stud was pulling out a heli coil. This sucks. Now what!?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hoping since the stud is sticking out farther than the other one that it’s not in all that far and just stripped a few threads, hopefully having some more threads up in there to work with.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Well, I figured out why they had the front right. Loosened it, tightened the back to even it out, then went to torque them down 10ftlbs and notice the front stud was pulling out a heli coil. This sucks. Now what!?
Kind of hard to see
That is not necessarily a death sentence: A Helicoil can be replaced depending on the condition of the tapped hole. If the hole is blown out, it can still be replaced by a double helicoil. We use them at work on special occasions. Worst case is to drill and re-tap the hole to the next larger bolt size. I would not try any of those magic glue ideas.

A good welder can close the hole then re drill and tap to original size. Probably the safest route. IMHO.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Hoping since the stud is sticking out farther than the other one that it’s not in all that far and just stripped a few threads, hopefully having some more threads up in there to work with.
Do you really want to trust a couple of threads to hold your front tire on? Just sayin'

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I got the bike up and supported under the tire. I popped the cap off. Someone bright, forced in a coarse threaded stud about 1/4 into what appears to be a fine threaded hole. The flat spot on the stud has the vice grip marks to prove it, haha. The over all hole is over an inch deep up in there, so Im hoping I can run the proper stud up past the 1/4 inch of missing threads and have it tap past the mangled thread transition back into the proper threads. Does anyone know the thread pitch? Once again it’s an 84 electra glide classic. I appreciate all your help, thanks!

·
Registered
536 Posts
Does anyone know the thread pitch? Once again it’s an 84 electra glide classic. I appreciate all your help, thanks!
If the other bolt is the correct pitch, just match it!

·
Super Moderator
12,568 Posts
I just got studs for my '83 from J&P for $12. Worth replacing based on your pics.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Well, I got the bike up and supported under the tire. I popped the cap off. Someone bright, forced in a coarse threaded stud about 1/4 into what appears to be a fine threaded hole. The flat spot on the stud has the vice grip marks to prove it, haha. The over all hole is over an inch deep up in there, so Im hoping I can run the proper stud up past the 1/4 inch of missing threads and have it tap past the mangled thread transition back into the proper threads. Does anyone know the thread pitch? Once again it’s an 84 electra glide classic. I appreciate all your help, thanks!
I got this from Ronnies HD: Unfortunately it does not show a p/n for the stud. :frown

Ronnie's Harley-Davidson's 1984 Harley Davidson FLHTC 1340 ELECTRA GLIDE CLASSIC (DD) | SUSPENSION - FRONT FORK ASSEMBLY W/ STEERING STEM Parts List

·
Registered
37,180 Posts
1 - 20 of 34 Posts