Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone, I recently put new bars on me shovel and had some serious issues with smoke from the solenoid overheating which produced smoke (the plastic cover started to melt). I put it into the bike shop and got it fixed and also replaced the inner primary gasket also. I replaced the solenoid and put electrical tape under the controls on the bars as I think thats what was earthing on me bars! But the other day i was cruizing home and it started to cut in and out and then stopped all together! Also I replaced a new battery which went good for a few days and then went to start it and and the battery was flat again! Plus the left hand side blinker does not work the same as the right one does (which works as it should) so i suspect a fault in the electrical system somewhere! Has anyone got any ideas and tips on this matter??? before I take it back to the bike shop!

cheers
shaggs

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Yo...wud up Shaggs?!!

Check your charging system. Make sure the battery isn't shorting out any where, or the terminals aren't touching anything. Make sure your Stator is good and your voltage regulator isn't taking a crap. Go back to basics, bro....

Also.....far fetched....but I had an Ignition switch take a crap on me once, because the bike's vibration wore it out, and in the "run" position, it wore and would make the bike shut off....

Outdside of that bro...... it's all relative.............. and not the ones you want over for the holidays..... :D

Gday Dave, all is fine mate and I think you might be onto something there and will check when i get home tonight. You know ever since I bought it i upgraded (got chrome parts) the side stand and had nothing but problems, the bars also caused me drama and i replaced the dash cover and it is a little tight and may be causing me grief. Also I looked under the rear wheel the other day and there was some exposed wire where it looks like it been rubbing somewhere (maybe the wheel!). This is my first harley and i love to tinker with me tools and its such a great feeling riding my old shovel down the road (turns plenty of heads!). I recently went to a morgan and wacker promotional day and it was funny when i left and kicked the shovel over and i got some wierd looks from some riders as if to say: "what is that he is doing" and also on another day i ran into a dude who asked what the kick starter was!

the day will come (or maybe its already here) when we will go to a museum and see a kick starter in a cabinet somewhere as people are forgetting what they are! also thanks for the reply and have a great day!

lol
:)
cheers
shaggs

·
Banned
11,040 Posts
Whats up with the bars you said you had problems ?Check the hand controls you might have pinched wires you said you put tape there check it make sure everthing is right no bare wires or pinched or wires grounding that sounds like whats goin on just a thought.

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
Hi everyone, I recently put new bars on me shovel and had some serious issues with smoke from the solenoid overheating which produced smoke (the plastic cover started to melt).

cheers
shaggs
You ought seriously go over all your wire again. break it out of the cable runs and covers, any heat like you mentioned can cause wire to melt thru the insulation and either ground or fuse into other wire close to it. This can happen anywhere in the affected circuit run.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts