Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys. I've making the change to a diaphragm clutch release instead of the spring on my 1975 shovelhead. I don't have the manual for the diaphragm setup and need to know where to set the tension. I found that it should be .010 of flat and that's what I installed it to, but I'm having a couple issues.

Since reinstalling it all I now get a lot of chatter while engaging the clutch at the lever. Once it is engaged it works fine, but it chatters a lot first and starting from a stop is very choppy and noisy, which did not happen before. Also I can not get the electric start to engage with the clutch pulled in. It will start fine in neutral without the lever pulled in, but not while in gear with lever pulled in. Just spins around. Everything worked fine before I did this with no chatter and starting fine. Something is set up wrong and I need a fresh perspective. Maybe something I missed while putting it back together or maybe my spring tension is too tight???

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
The clutch engagement should have nothing to do with the electric starter. Look at the clutch shell when you actuate the clutch lever, is the shell moving inboard/outboard?

·
Retired citizen
24,163 Posts
Did ya soak the clutch discs in oil before installation ? Soaked and drained off ?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep, the shell is moving with clutch lever action. Hub not seated all the way in? Or chain tension too tight? No I didn't soak the plates first. I've had mixed info there. One place says to do it and another says don't. I always have in the past but didn't this time. Looks like I'll take it all apart and start over.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
That movement of the outer clutch shell during clutch actuation could be the cause of both problems.

Several things could cause excess movement of the clutch shell, not seated onto the taper on the mainshaft, bad inner clutch hub bearing.

Can you grab the outer shell and move it in and out by hand?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No doesn't move around by hand. The hub is new so maybe I just didn't get it all the way torqued down or it loosened off once I got the motor running. Good thoughts. I'll check it out.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Soaked the plates and reinstalled the hub. I feel like I got it on correctly now. Reinstalled everything and the starting problem is gone now. Seems to engage all the time now with the starter with the clutch lever pulled in.

Got the cables adjusted and seems to work there correctly as well, but still having a lot of noise when the clutch engages. Maybe it is just the new frictions need time to work in? Is there a break in proceedure for new clutch plates?

·
Retired citizen
24,163 Posts
Soaked the plates and reinstalled the hub. I feel like I got it on correctly now. Reinstalled everything and the starting problem is gone now. Seems to engage all the time now with the starter with the clutch lever pulled in.

Got the cables adjusted and seems to work there correctly as well, but still having a lot of noise when the clutch engages. Maybe it is just the new frictions need time to work in? Is there a break in proceedure for new clutch plates?
Holeshots !!!

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
The best fix for a Shovel clutch is a Rivera Pro Clutch.
We installed many over the years, and folks agree that once they have used them, they "should have done this a long time ago".:)
Scott

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think that will be the next upgrade eventually. Right now with funds short I didn't have the cash free to do that.

Update: Its starting to work a little better. Still grabby, but improving with use. It isn't holding the power under acceleration a slipping with more throttle so I need to get back in there and tighten down on the spring more it looks like. Its close. Once it warms up it gets a little better and the bad chattering is mostly gone now. Think it just needs some miles now. If the weather would clear up a little more. Back down in the 30s again this week so not much time to get it out.

·
Retired citizen
24,163 Posts
The best fix for a Shovel clutch is a Rivera Pro Clutch.
We installed many over the years, and folks agree that once they have used them, they "should have done this a long time ago".:)
Scott
That's what I have in my '81 Shovel plus I plugged the oiler and run the primary wet. Always works perfect and easy handle pull too.

Reactions: rockher_man

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Tried one of those diaphram conversions in a shovel I had didn't work always slipped under acceleration installed a Pro Clutch problem solved

1 - 12 of 12 Posts