Harley Davidson Forums banner

ShovelHead Help

8K views 26 replies 13 participants last post by  Scum 
#1 ·
Hello , new guy here. I'm looking to ID the bike below. The bike belonged to my father and was sold a little over 20 years ago when my father passed. I don't know much about the bike other than it was a shovelHead Harley he had through 80's in Connecticut. I was a baby at the time now that I'm 26 I'm looking to find a similar bike or find this one. I don't have much hope of finding this one but it's worth a shot. The Bike was sold around 20 years ago at Fort Lauderdale Harley Davidson in Florida if anyone recognizes it. I would love to buy it back! Any info on year or model would be greatly appreciated.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Plant

29C96FBC-144E-4235-9D12-4319D8FF5DE1.jpeg

FA4BF488-6AE4-4425-88A3-1CF597A005EC.jpeg

See less See more
#3 ·
I too believe It's a low rider but it is altered. the tank badge and exhaust doesn't fit, the air cleaner would be clue to proper year. It is early though as the kick start is present also the foot controls are forward. I don't know for fact if super-glide had dual disc brakes or the mag wheels

#4 ·
No such thing as an unaltered Harley unless it's a garage queen owned by a dentist or lawyer. 😛

As to what is on it, that can vary from year to year. Hell, it could even be later model with an aftermarket kicker put on. You can't really judge that well by some of those things.

#5 ·
The only way to really tell what it was as sold new would be by the VIN. So easy to mix and match parts on early Harleys to make them look like another model.

If it was a Low Rider as stated above, the dash is incorrect. Low Riders had a speedo and tach combo which the one pictured does not, it has a FL dash.

#6 · (Edited)
It looks alot like my 1980 FX 80,
EXCEPT: This one has the twin tanks and dash (That i always wanted on mine) and a Kick Start (mine was electric or push!) and this bikes front fender is chopped. (mine wrapped a little more forward.
Same: Seat, Rims, Twin front brakes, pipes ('till i changed em out with Cobra's (i hated the drag pipes!)). Same Fender and tail lights. IIRC, the '80 Low Rider had a flattened rear fender, but not positive...

Man, times were simpler then!

#8 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies everyone, man I just really wonder if this thing is still around and running. Has extreme sentimental value. I found this picture of it and turns out it was actually a super glide. Possible year ?? wish I could find the vin for it . View attachment 800574
In 1980 it was FXE the E was for electric start... So I'm thinking 78 / 79, or he could have added the kick start to a 80 or later. Mine was a FXE Super Glide.. To change to the twin tanks, the frame required some mods (why i never did mine) I questioned modifying the frame... Dumb me, I just should have! That's a sweet lookin ride with the twin tank! Back then, they were either a FX or FXWG. WG stood for Wide Glide. IIRC the WG had the fat tanks? not positive!

These bikes were the predecessor to the FXRS Low Rider. WG front end, Flattened rear fender. Otherwise the same bike.

Reactions: WiSeNhEiMeR
#15 ·
Thanks for the help everybody!! Cant even begin to explain how much it means to me. Would be like winning the lottery to find this damn thing. According to my mother the bike was kickstart only no electric, but she doesn't remember what year. Based on everybody's comments I'm assuming pre 80 Super glide that's been modified ?? The bike spent most of its life in Waterbury Connecticut before it was moved down to South Florida. I'll try to find more pictures!

#17 ·
Update , I finally found the VIN number !! The Vin is 2C19761H3 the bike was registered as a 73 FXLH . spent 2012- 2018 in Texas and the most current title I can find for it says its in Washington. Unfortunately the DMV will not give me any owner info due to privacy laws. Thats the closet I've got so far to finding it.

#21 ·
Bike was sold from Gavlveston County Texas to Bellingham Washington in 2019 as non working pallet of parts. Motor and frame only. Bike was a 73 FX Superglide for sure. Just had some work done to it during his motorclyce days. Still don't know who has it or if it was ever rebuilt. Sad end to the story. Might try to buy a FX or FXE and build it like his.

#22 ·
IMO that bike is history. Might have been crashed and totaled by ins. co. or stolen and parted out and never been recovered or maybe even sitting in tacked in some warehouse sitting under a cover. A ghost bike !

Reactions: Scum
#27 ·
I try like someone suggested and see if somone at the clerks office may be able to look back at registration and look for vins. Or maybe if your folks used a known insurance company at the time and there around maybe they could help. Would be surprised what a 20 dollar bill can accomplish with a board office worker lol. Worth a try. Be super cool if you was able to track that bike down. I know of a big time shovel head guy in Massachusetts. He has dozens. Buys and sells them all the time. For what it’s worth I emailed him the pics and story. He emailed me back he would do some digging and a cool story about how he actually found one for one guy once.

Reactions: 1/2 Ton
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.