Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Life long rider
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the winter finally set in here in Colorado, I spent a couple of hours in front of the idiot box yesterday afternoon & saw a couple of episodes of Biker battleground- the show where they customize baggers to the EXTREME... Now there were some beautiful bikes on there but I've got to wonder - who the hell buys these bikes?, they have 1 inch of clearance - how the hell do you turn??, 32" front tires with 1/2" of side wall. I thought the whole reason for a bagger was to cruise and tour in comfort while giving you a place to stash all of your sh*t. At the big ultimate bagger show they all trailered these baggers up to Sturgis.. I love customized bikes , but i gotta wonder: when safety, comfort & riding performance all go out the window does the bike just become a $100k paperweight ?

·
Banned
71 Posts
Since the winter finally set in here in Colorado, I spent a couple of hours in front of the idiot box yesterday afternoon & saw a couple of episodes of Biker battleground- the show where they customize baggers to the EXTREME... Now there were some beautiful bikes on there but I've got to wonder - who the hell buys these bikes?, they have 1 inch of clearance - how the hell do you turn??, 32" front tires with 1/2" of side wall. I thought the whole reason for a bagger was to cruise and tour in comfort while giving you a place to stash all of your sh*t. At the big ultimate bagger show they all trailered these baggers up to Sturgis.. I love customized bikes , but i gotta wonder: when safety, comfort & riding performance all go out the window does the bike just become a $100k paperweight ?
Just about. :eek

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Guys that have a lot of money and not really interested in the ride, but want to be part of the culture.
To most it's about the journey, to some it's about the destination.
I have much respect for those that have the skills to build those machines. My favorite recent motorcycle build article appeared on this site last year by an unknown to the world, Ginger. :thumbsup

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
Art v. Practicality. Some of those show bikes are virtually caricatures of motorcycles but they can be beautiful metal and paint sculptures. And just as useless as touring bikes. But that's not the builder's intention. Just like racing machines, they are pushing the envelope. Same for custom cars. There's room for everybody.

But I wanna ride.

--

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
Guys that have a lot of money and not really interested in the ride, but want to be part of the culture.
I have much respect for those that have the skills to build those machines. My favorite recent motorcycle build article appeared on this site last year by an unknown to the world, Ginger. :thumbsup
Yes. A beautiful blending of form and function, proven on the road. Great in pictures, even more impressive in person.

(The bike--not the Ginger, that is)

--

·
On the loose
8,692 Posts
More of a creative endeavor to gain notoriety vs a practical riding machine. Not a bad way to kill an afternoon in the winter I suppose , miss Indian Larry , his stuff was built to ride.

I sometimes wonder how well OCC and other showy bike builds have held up now that the cameras are gone.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Can you direct me to the "Ginger" thread or the build you're talking about. I'm laid up and need some reading material. Thank You

·
The Fighting Chicken
4,006 Posts
More of a creative endeavor to gain notoriety vs a practical riding machine. Not a bad way to kill an afternoon in the winter I suppose , miss Indian Larry , his stuff was built to ride.

I sometimes wonder how well OCC and other showy bike builds have held up now that the cameras are gone.

They haven't fallen apart in the showroom I've seen one in. It's been sitting in the office of the company's corporate office for the last two years. 0 miles.

·
On the loose
8,692 Posts
They haven't fallen apart in the showroom I've seen one in. It's been sitting in the office of the company's corporate office for the last two years. 0 miles.
Seems to be doing ok for what it was built for then :)

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Can you direct me to the "Ginger" thread or the build you're talking about. I'm laid up and need some reading material. Thank You
The article(s) were about member "2stangs8689" converting his Bat Wing into a Road Glide. Ginger is just reference to hair color. I don't remember what forum category it was in. He did a great write up with photos, and took a fair bit of abuse as well as kudo's from many of us while he was doing it. I would rather follow a home build/modification than a shop build anytime.

·
Smiles. A lot!
8,683 Posts
The article(s) were about member "2stangs8689" converting his Bat Wing into a Road Glide. Ginger is just reference to hair color. I don't remember what forum category it was in. He did a great write up with photos, and took a fair bit of abuse as well as kudo's from many of us while he was doing it. I would rather follow a home build/modification than a shop build anytime.
Here is the

http://www.harley-davidsonforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=#/forumsite/20763/topics/122273

·
Registered
621 Posts
I like to look at those custom bikes and marvel at the skill it takes to produce something like that, knowing the person has more talent in his little finger than I have in my whole body. But in the end, if I can't ride it without worrying about it then it's useless to me.

·
South GA Redneck
3,898 Posts
I also love the look of these radical baggers and customs, but if I'm going to own it, it has to be rideable as well.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Thanks for the info to 2stangs conversion. I thought that may have been what you were referring to. Unfortunately that's one of the first threads I read when I came to the forum. I subscribed to it so I could always find it. A lot of good info and bantering in that one. Especially about how to solder. :laugh

1 - 20 of 40 Posts