Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all,

Does anyone know anything much about sidecars? Specifically, has anyone ever seen one adapted for use by someone in a wheelchair? Or, one rigged to accept a handicapped individual, maybe without the wheelchair. Or, could the frame be left in place, and the actual car part be removed from the frame, and something custom built be bolted on in it's place?

What would the weight limit be for the sidecar person/gear?

Any weblinks?

Would be used on a Harley Touring bike.

Just kind of a shot in the dark here.

I'll post later about my crazy idea. Just thinking a little now.

Thanks!

Ride on, ride well.

Doug

"I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
I've got a photo somewhere in my stuff that was taken at Bike Week back in '87 or '88... guy had an FXR equipped with a sidecar rig that a wheelchair could roll into and be secured (the setup was designed to be driven by the sidecar occupant) So they DO exist (and have for a long time now). I'm sorry that I don't have more detail.

·
2007 Ultra Classic
1,285 Posts
I saw one like that (wheelchair operator drove the cycle) in Austin at ROT last year. His was custom made by his friends. He rolled up from the back and secured his chair and then started the bike and rode off.

Maybe Rat knows him.

·
Old, Tired, Ugly
128 Posts
Also say a Dyna with a flat bed side car in Van Nuys, Ca. Same as above, rolled chair onto ramp and drove from the chair. He said his buddied fabricated the setup for him. Break lever operated front and rear breaks, shifted with a solenoid. Very clean conversion.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts