Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I raised the rear wheel to help in cleaning and noticed the wheel and swing arm moved slightly sideways. The wheel doesn't move when on the ground. On my old Brit bikes this would be mean wheel bearing or swing arm needed looking at but being new to Harleys could this be down to it being rubber mounted.

·
Retired citizen
23,670 Posts
Rubber mounts means it's at least an '04 or newer Sportster. How many miles ? High miles could mean the swingarm bushings require service based on the symptom.

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
Rubber mounting relates to the engine, not the swingarm though. I'm saying Swingarm bushings like previously said.
I'm not a Sportster person, but I thought the swingarm was part of the rear rubber engine mounts?

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Take it off and inspect the bushings and bearings. If defective replace them, but do not ride the bike until you rectify the problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Told by dealer there is some movement in the swinging arm but will have to be checked for excessive movement. The bike has only done 8000 miles so seems a bit soon to be worn out! But then again had to have belt drive and sprockets changedc due to excessive wear! Bad luck or bad parts?

·
Red and White
2,237 Posts
They make a bracket that you can get from J&P cycles to stop that side to side movement in the swingarm. It was most noticeable on touring bikes so that's why companies started developing the bracket but since has been fixed by the MoCo. I believe this was one reason older touring bikes would wobble in high speed curves. No danger, just makes you pee a little.

-Rohan

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Something is wrong. Belts generally last 40000 or so. At least 25-30000. There's a spec. for the side play, in the shop manual. If excessive, fix it! The swing arm is on needle bearings, but the whole assy. mounts on the rear rubber motor mounts. None of that, mounts, bearings, belt and sprockets, should be bad at 8000 miles.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts