Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
2011 Nightster
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2011 Nightster

I changed out the bulbs in my front and rear signals to new LED bulbs.

Not sure if it's related, but now my turn signals do a 1, 2, 3 blink steady, then it doubles speed and continues to blink. It's not all at once or all the time like flashers.. only when I turn a signal on.

Also noticed that my red key light is continually on once it's started up. I thought it used to turn off when I started driving. My bike has a keyfob which shuts of fuel injection if the fob isn't around.

I've recently disconnected and reconnected the battery, but not sure if that's related.

Anyone know what the deal is with this?

Edit: Did some more reading. Possible my red key light might be from low battery on the keyfob.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
LED bulbs don't draw enough current for the TSSM. You need a ballast or resistor to draw more current.

·
2011 Nightster
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Seems like you're right. Is it damaging to have it this way or just annoying?
I'm looking at various products to fix it, but not sure if it's something I should immediately change or if I can ship it all regularly.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,965 Posts
I had thought those LED units came with a ballast resistor for current limiting. If not, installing about a 330 ohm resistor in series with each unit should take care of the overcurrent problem.

·
Registered
638 Posts
You need to install a Load Balancer to compensate for the reduced load the leds create. BikeTronics.com makes a nice one plug and play.

·
Registered
671 Posts
You need to install a Load Balancer to compensate for the reduced load the leds create. BikeTronics.com makes a nice one plug and play.
X2

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
I had thought those LED units came with a ballast resistor for current limiting. If not, installing about a 330 ohm resistor in series with each unit should take care of the overcurrent problem.
You need to install a resistor across( in parallel) with the bulb, NOT in series with it!

The resistor should be about 10 ohms and 5-10 watt rating. You only need two, one on each side, right and left.

Or you can but a load equalizer, from the led supplier.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts