Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am considering getting a medium size piece of luggage. I want to mount it using my sissy bar, but I do not have (and may not want) to put it on a luggage rack. I was hoping to mount the luggage "backwards", that, sitting on the pillion and strapped to the sissy bar. I am considering the following bags:

Kuryakyn XKursion XS 3.0

Kuryakyn XKursion XS 4.5

Kuryakyn Ultra Tour Bag

Harley Davidson Touring Bag

Kuryakyn claims that all of their bags can be mounted on the passenger seat, although I worry about the depth of the Ultra Tour Bag (15") encroaching into the rider seating area. Also, I don't know if the H-D bag can be mounted backwards (on the seat) or must be mounted on a luggage rack.

Any experiences or suggestions would be appreciated, including suggestions for other luggage that can rest on the passenger seat and be secured to the sissy bar.

Thanks,
Wayne

·
Lost in Space
6,859 Posts
Seen a lot of bags used that way. Makes a nice backrest for you.

·
Registered
11,064 Posts
I would think that any luggage that will mount to a sissy bar could certainly be mounted backwards or forward. I have a bag (brand name escapes me) that I sit on the passenger seat and secure it to the passenger backrest and it works good and is also a comfy backrest for long hauls. Make sure yours won't intrude too far into your back. Oh, and with my bag on the passenger seat I can't swing my leg over it getting on or off the bike but must lift my leg extra high to get on or off. No big deal after you do it once or twice and having that comfy backrest really is nice on a long trip.

·
Screaming Eagle Memb
8 Posts
I'm sure any of those will work fine faced forward. A word of caution though. Those are big bags you're looking at. It's not so much that you can strap it back to the sissy bar, but you will want to make sure that you are able to secure it in the vertical as well. You might think that having it over the sissy bar is enough, but strapping it down is just as important as strapping it back. The wind going over the bag will cause lift. Make sure you have something below the bag that you can strap it down to. I've seen a full size water heater sucked into the air out of the back of a pick up truck from the airflow going over it at highway speed. A luggage rack is not just for support, but also provides something to strap the bag down to. That's why they typically have rungs. A seat doesn't have those, so you'll need to be a little more creative.
Good luck.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Hello,

I am considering getting a medium size piece of luggage. I want to mount it using my sissy bar, but I do not have (and may not want) to put it on a luggage rack. I was hoping to mount the luggage "backwards", that, sitting on the pillion and strapped to the sissy bar. I am considering the following bags:

Kuryakyn XKursion XS 3.0

Kuryakyn XKursion XS 4.5

Kuryakyn Ultra Tour Bag

Harley Davidson Touring Bag

Kuryakyn claims that all of their bags can be mounted on the passenger seat, although I worry about the depth of the Ultra Tour Bag (15") encroaching into the rider seating area. Also, I don't know if the H-D bag can be mounted backwards (on the seat) or must be mounted on a luggage rack.

Any experiences or suggestions would be appreciated, including suggestions for other luggage that can rest on the passenger seat and be secured to the sissy bar.

Thanks,

Wayne

I have the Harley bag you have linked there. I mount it on the pillion over the sissy bar. Works great and provides a nice back rest. The hold-down straps are long enough for flexibility in what you strap it down to and they have quick releases.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts