Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Steve (and/or anyone who lives in Wintery Conditions)

I would be so scared to ride in icy and/or snowy conditions. I get antsy enough riding when the roads a wet from rain..or HECK..even wet from the sprinklers here!!!!

Here in Texas, particularly in the Northeast part of Texas where Dallas is...it usually only "snows" 2 or 3 times a year, and when it does..it's only about an inch...but it does ice usually a few more times than that. I know we are lucky that we really can ride all year long around here...so here is my question..

What do you do if you think conditions are ok to ride (like I see in so many of your pictures with snow capped mountains!!!) but then you come up on a nice patch of ice...or it starts snowing/sleeting while you are out on a ride???

I know the first answer would be "Amy, check the weather...don't ride if it's below freezing or there is a chance of precipitation..."....but there are always unexpected circumstances....if you run into ice, do you turn around and go back home?!?!?

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Oh you mine like the image below?

In a sentence, icy roads are where I draw the line. Not weather, but road conditions are the show stopper.

That noted, I sometimes have dry cold roads to ride on, but there are traditional shady spots where there could be ice. When I come to these known places I'll sometimes pull over to let any traffic behind me pass, and then I'll smoothly go through the slick section.

Smooth is the key word, and it is THE word for just about any kind of riding, whether it be the track, the street, or offroad... year round. Don't be sudden with the throttle, don't be sudden with the brakes, don't be jerky in the curves. Be smoooooooooth. It works year round, it's necessary in the rain or on wet roads, and it helps going through slick sections -- planned or unplanned!

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So you mean to tell me your RODE your bike through there?!?!?!

Man, I may be a weenie...but I would have gotten off my bike, and camped out on the side of the road...and waited a few days or weeks for that ice to melt before hopping on there!!!! Holy cow....can someone bring me some hot chocolate!!!! Or better yet, that's when I would have called HD and asked them to come pick me up, and the bike--hahah!!!!

Another great picture Steve!!!

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,503 Posts
Hey Heres a great Amy smoking Sportster tires Video idea, just put about three or so ice cleats in a special tire for your sporty, evenly spaced, then do the smoky tire burn-out video, maybe the cleats will throw enough sparks to ignite the tire smoke ! HOOYAH!

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Heres a great Amy smoking Sportster tires Video idea, just put about three or so ice cleats in a special tire for your sporty, evenly spaced, then do the smoky tire burn-out video, maybe the cleats will throw enough sparks to ignite the tire smoke ! HOOYAH!
That is a GREAT idea!!!!!!!!!!!:dance :dance :dance :dance

1 - 6 of 6 Posts