Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to all that responded to my previous ? My Road Glide now has 250 miles on it. Would it be ok to put slip on mufflers on now, or do should I wait until after 1K service? The stock pipes just aren't doing it for me and my wife would tell you I'm a pretty impatient gu but I want to do motor break in the best way and just wondering if it would effect the break in period.

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,335 Posts
My dealer had Rush 2.0's on the bike on the show room floor when I bought it with 4 miles on the bike brand new off the show room floor.

No change to programing. Gets 41-42 mpg. Sounds great. A little decel popping depending on how hard I decel. I like it just the way it is.

So the answer to your question is no need to wait for 1K or any more miles at all.

Diff slip ons have diff characteristics on the decel popping and exhaust sound. Some are offensively loud with way too much popping.

The only problem I've had with this bike was the front brake master cylinder had to be rebuilt in the early miles. And that had nothing to do with the mufflers.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks JPR. That got me thinking, I've seen alot of brand new bikes on the showroom floor with other mufflers on them. I'm going to start shopping around. I like the price point of the SE slip on but have never heard them and I'm looking for deep rumble, not obnoxiou loud but throaty and beefier than the stock pipes.

·
Be alive!
131 Posts
Hello,
I have from 2008 mounted Rush slip ons 1'75 baffler and till now I am happy with that. Deep sound better than all other brands. If you would mount Rush than must know that you can change the baffle size directly with first orderering the mufflers.

My oldy Street Bob can be ordered in range from 1'5 to 2'5 inch baffle.

Last year I change the inside wool which was arround the baffle and I have agan a few years peace with exhaust. That is from my side of wiew and for Street Bob mufflers only :)

·
Registered
329 Posts
Baggerdave, I had screamin eagle slip on's on my Road Glide years back and they do sound good but my 4" Rineharts are much better but my Roadie was a 88 and my current Ultra is a 103 so it may not be apples to apples?

·
Registered
12,941 Posts
My dealer had Rush 2.0's on the bike on the show room floor when I bought it with 4 miles on the bike brand new off the show room floor..
You guys are lucky. In Kalifornia the dealer cannot install any mufflers unless they are specific for that model bike. Applies to new bikes they sell.
If bike comes in as a trade with modified exhaust nothing is done.

Our local dealer came close to being fined big money for installing modified exhaust. Pretty sure they will not sell them for you too install. But that may have changed, need check on that.

·
American
28,662 Posts
Thanks JPR. That got me thinking, I've seen alot of brand new bikes on the showroom floor with other mufflers on them. I'm going to start shopping around. I like the price point of the SE slip on but have never heard them and I'm looking for deep rumble, not obnoxiou loud but throaty and beefier than the stock pipes.
RC Slip ons are worth looking into. Nice sound, not obnoxious. For the money they are an excellent option.

·
2007 Ultra Classic
1,285 Posts
Basically the engine is a big air pump. Air in and air out. Just pay a little attention to volumes of air so you won't need a tune beyond what your ECM can adapt to.

As long as you don't change the amount of air in with a different breather, you can put any slipons (within reason)that you like. I have Super Trapps on mine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts