Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m putting a set of Tab mufflers and want to decat the stock headers. Do I need to retune? 2019 RoadGlide Ultra 114

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Senior Flatulant
1,047 Posts
With an exhaust that flows more freely, there is a good chance that you will be running lean.

Get a good 'tuner' for your bike. One that can keep up with any future modifications that you might have planned.

And, welcome from PA!

Cheers,
Smoketown

·
American
26,340 Posts
Yes, you need to retune as you will be running very lean.

·
Señor Member
19,658 Posts
The internet seems to disagree on this issue. Many say that if you’re only changing the exhaust and keeping the OEM air cleaner, then you don’t need to retune the bike. I changed my air cleaner and exhaust at the same time that I added a tuner, so please understand that I don’t have any first hand experience with this.

If you’re not sure, you can change the exhaust and then ride it for a few hundred miles and then inspect your plugs. Keep in mind that it’s set up pretty lean at the factory to begin with, so adding air will make it even leaner. The question is whether doing pipes only will add air...and SO much air that the computer cannot maintain the stock AFR. My guess is no because of how restrictive the OEM air cleaner is, but that’s just my best guess.

Good luck.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Gutting the Cat will void your warranty, but that isn't the question you asked. By changing out the mufflers AND gutting the Cat, yes you will need to tune the bike.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts