Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2012 heritage Classic. It currently has screamin eagle slip ons. They are too quiet for me. They are about 5 out of 10 for loudness. I don't want very very loud exhaust, I'm looking for a sound of about 7 or 8 out of 10 that will give me the thunder sound. I like the looks of V&H straight shots, but I don't know what they found like. You tube videos are hard to judge from because of speaker quality. Any ideas?

·
Harley Rider
10,488 Posts
Look at Cycle Shacks. I had them on mine. Very noticeable.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The SE are a mid level sound. If you go VH and some of the other popular brands you are upping the noise level considerably. If you don't want "too loud" stay with what you have and save your $...

·
Registered
237 Posts
V&H slip ons on my bike. I love the sound. You will get deceleration popping by doing that. I put a big sucker air cleaner on it and had it remapped and still get deceleration popping though improved some. Nature of the beast from what I have heard and read.

Pastor Jeff:bikerguy:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Vance and hines on my heritage. Pretty loud. Put the vance and hines quiet baffles in them. Much mellower at idle and low rpm. Runs better too.

·
18 wheeler pilot
27 Posts
I just bought a 2012 heritage Classic. It currently has screamin eagle slip ons. They are too quiet for me. They are about 5 out of 10 for loudness. I don't want very very loud exhaust, I'm looking for a sound of about 7 or 8 out of 10 that will give me the thunder sound. I like the looks of V&H straight shots, but I don't know what they found like. You tube videos are hard to judge from because of speaker quality. Any ideas?
Check out American Custom Exhaust. They use the factory bodies and modify them to 3 different interchangeable sounds. Factory quality chrome with the aftermarket sound.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Vance and hines on my heritage. Pretty loud. Put the vance and hines quiet baffles in them. Much mellower at idle and low rpm. Runs better too.

Butcherman,

I just put the V&H straightshots on my 2012 Heritage. I thought I would get a loud "rumble" sound, unfortunately, I only get that for the first couple of seconds from leaving a stop. After that, it's just a constant loud sound, but no rumble. I'm not sure if you know what I mean. Did your quiet baffles make a difference in the quality of sound? Also, how much quieter did they make it compared to the stock baffles. Oh, one more question. My straightshots came with a baffle that looks to be nothing more than ribs of bent steel when looking down the slipons from the rear. Is that what you had? I thought baffles all had some type of filter or fiberglass wrap in them. I can pretty much look through my slipons and see completely through to the header pipes.
Thanks

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
38 Posts
You could hardly call the original v&h baffles that. Thought they were kinda harsh at idle and got worse at speed. The quiet baffles mellower and "softer" at idle and low rpm. They get louder at speed but still not annoying. At low speeds you get half the noise. The new baffles look like baffles. Easy install. These are what should come with new pipes.

·
Registered
38 Posts
They did not come with a wrap. Installed them that way. Its been a while, but i believe they're held in by one screw near the end of each pipe. No need to remove heat shields. One thing though, i have an older set of pipes (complete system). Newer ones could be different

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
They did not come with a wrap. Installed them that way. Its been a while, but i believe they're held in by one screw near the end of each pipe. No need to remove heat shields. One thing though, i have an older set of pipes (complete system). Newer ones could be different

Butcherman,
On a scale of 1-10 how would you rate the loudness of your pipes with the stock baffles, and what number would you give the loudness after installing the quiet baffles? Also, how would you rate the rumble before and after? My V&H still have the original baffles (if you want to call them that since they are pretty much an open baffle). I would rate the volume a 9 and the rumble a 6 or 7. I want to install the quiet baffles but I don't want to lose too much of the volume. I want to lose that loud annoying sound. I am hoping the quiet baffles give me an 8 on volume and an 8 or better on the deep rumble. Thanks!

·
Registered
803 Posts
I'm not sure what you are looking for, but the sound that you are describing will probably require motor work (bigger heads, cam, tuner) and a full performance exhaust, not just slip ons.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Think fatcat is right. Probley need to open the motor up to get the rumble. My bike is relatively stock. A mikuni 42, k&n and straitshots. It sounds nice. I would not call it fast. My shovelhead sounds much better but not louder. It has Milwaukee twins tapered duals with baffles. But it has a crane cam and headwork

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Butcherman,
I'm just trying to find out what the difference in volume and sound quality is between your V&H with the quiet baffles, and the stock baffles it originally came with.
Thanks

1 - 20 of 21 Posts