Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the bike. Rode it some. Changed the Chaincase Tranny oil with Mobile1 20-50 V Twin oil. Took a ride today and got into creeping traffic. I was able to use the clutch friction zone to keep me moving . I didn't notice it before as I was either going or stopping. When coming into the gas I would hear the clutch give a little clunk and when coming out of the gas I could hear the clunk back and forth. My guess is the drive chain may need adjustment. I have not been able to remove the oil fill vent cover. I used the Clutch adjust port to fill the case. Any one have information that might help? Is this Normal?

·
Banned
71 Posts
Chain is always going to have a little slack in it and give a little "clunk" when getting on or off the gas.

Best money you will EVER spend is on a MoCo Maintenance manual and the MoCo parts book .

:biker:

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there an adjuster in the oil vent port? seems a bit excessive

Attachments

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
I think Sportsters used to have a primary chain adjuster that was accessible from outside. It was an Allen head with a lock nut.
I agree the clunk is probably chain slack, and you will be dollars ahead to buy the HD service manual.
Also, your primary chain and transmission share the same oil.

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
The port is for measuring the play. The adjuster is on the bottom of the primary. Big nut, with allen bolt in center. GET A FACTORY SHOP MANUAL! Best money you can spend.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I'm thinking a good clutch adjustment is in order. Step 1: buy the shop manual. If said Shop manual takes too long to arrive, look up videos on youtube for clutch adjustment on sportster. It's not hard at all.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Money shows tonight I intend on getting the Manual. Thanks for the heads up on the adjustment location. I don't think it's the clutch adjustment all seems good there. 23 k miles on it. Update. I did the adjustment it was way way out. Musta been 12 Half turns before it hit then I backed out a bit and tightened her up. Test ride tomorrow. That also explains the chugging jerking at idling in Forward

·
Retired citizen
23,364 Posts
Hope you loosened the cable adjuster before doing the clutch adjustment. Cable gets adjusted last.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes the chain Not the clutch. Thanks all for the help

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bradenton Near Sarasota. The adjustment I made was a go. Shifts good no slack and chugging at low speed pace. Did the cover today Looks good

Attachments

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Been great every day almost riding all the time I can get away if my ol lady lets me ;)

·
Registered
488 Posts
I get the same small clunk when I'm in first gear and slowly creeping forward by slipping the clutch. It's a little unnerving but just the nature of the beast. I did check my primary chain and clutch and both were spot on.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Heh...donny63 here...thanks for the advice on the handlebar alignment breeze...and about the clunk in traffic...this 2015 heritage that i traded my trike in for has the same clunk in slow and go traffic...and guess what ...i bought the try glyde brand new last year...and it did the same damn thing! Clunk in slow traffic when accellerating and release of throttle...and when coasting...im not going to worry about it too much...the heritage just turned 10k...but i will replace the tranny oil with something better than syn 3...that was mobil 1 75W140 right? Also will try to keep the rpm up in gears and not lug the engine...You guys are great with all your help and exprience...thank you all...63

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This is an old post of mine about a year and a half ago. I found using Mobile 1 20 50 For air cooled engines to be good in both the engine and the transmission. Most of the clunk was from a way unadjusted primary chain as well as a worn spring plate in the clutch basket that I have since put a new set up with an extra clutch disc and 2 plates in place of the spring plate. With under 20K I wouldn't worry to much about the spring plate issue. I had 24 + K on it then and now have 28 + k on it. No Issues with the primary anymore.

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,328 Posts
No if anything the 20-50 may be a bit light.

Use the fluid designed for the particular use. the 75W140 would be the better choice.

I use Redline Shock proof for the gear box. Which is in that weight range.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for that 695...i will do the mobil 1 20/50 in the tranny...so u think the mob...75w140 is too heavy?
I,m not even sure it (75W140) wet clutch compatible. If you got it from HD Dealer and that is what they say to use then use it. It may be fine It may drag. You can use ATF with Dextron as well. I may even use it. I just redid the clutch a month ago and used the same oil that had some aluminum swirl but not too bad I think I,m going to try it. Mobile 1 20 50 works fine just a bit expensive. Best part about that is I can use it in the crank case as well. When I bought the HD recommended oil from the dealer they said it is 20 50 wt It just looked thicker to me.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts