Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a email from the dealer saying Harley is slowing down production. Not sure if that's true or just a ploy to get people to hurry an buy a new bike. I know a while back there was a waiting list to get a new bike.

·
Curmudgeon
7,040 Posts
My dealer had what appeared to be a full inventory. Could be feeling
heat from Vic and Indian?

·
Registered
11,801 Posts
I stopped in Bluegrass Harley Friday afternoon. Haven't been in there or any other HD dealership for a while. And just a little more than a year ago Bluegrass Harley went under new ownership and greatly increased the number of bikes on hand. But it blew me away Friday with all the bikes now. I mean they are in every nook and cranny and parked so close together it looks like it would be a lot of work to get one out unless it was one on the end. Ain't no bike shortage at that dealer!

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
They need to slow down the line to reduce RECALLS & give their workers time to put them together correctly , that and go back to using Merican made parts !
And yes , I believe that Indian / Victory sales will make a difference . Nothing like good ole American competition . Its what made our nation great

·
American
28,696 Posts
Was in Brandts HD in northern IN about a week ago. They had about 120 NEW bikes on the floor!

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
local dealer here has a few 2014 still left and ton of new 2015 and pretty good used inventory they were ready to deal on the new 2014s but I wanted the 2015 cvo road glides and am not ready to pay the price yet
I have seen 2 new Indians on the road no victory's

·
Dirty Member
1,142 Posts
I think the market has exceeded the demands. It took years but it happened.

·
Registered
11,801 Posts
I believe that Indian / Victory sales will make a difference . Nothing like good ole American competition . Its what made our nation great
I love my Harley. Haven't seen a Victory or Indian I would want but I hope both of them stay in business. As THE ROAD said competition is healthy. HD needs the pressure of competitors nipping at their heels so they don't take us for granted.

·
Outlaw Nipple Poster
2,872 Posts
Revenues are off, stock is down $20/share vs. a year ago. Strong $ vs. Yen = Japanese bikes being cheaper in the US. that's why.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I was in Knoxville HD on Friday, since it was one exit from my Dr's office. They had thirty or so bikes. Including two CVO Road Glides...

One was red and black and the other was blue and black, drool.....

·
But working on it...
53 Posts
In the manufacturing world you must continue to monitor supply and demand through the market as well as your distribution channel. What HD is doing is simply adjusting their output based on the facts and data. You can read whatever you want when this happens but the fact remains the same, HD is a very viable company and strategically directing itself to continue as such. The changes you see with the type of bikes produced etc is a direct result of demographics and buying behavior. Everything changes and manufacturers need to change with it.

·
Banned
1,357 Posts
In the manufacturing world you must continue to monitor supply and demand through the market as well as your distribution channel. What HD is doing is simply adjusting their output based on the facts and data. You can read whatever you want when this happens but the fact remains the same, HD is a very viable company and strategically directing itself to continue as such. The changes you see with the type of bikes produced etc is a direct result of demographics and buying behavior. Everything changes and manufacturers need to change with it.
Or, all the recent talk among consumers about the issues the new harleys are having with their electronics coupled with the dealerships telling people that issues like "leaks" are normal is starting to push people back towards the metric bikes.

Just a thought.

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,335 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yeehaa!! Up 40%. But then again just starting out again with new company, after Indian was bankrupt again. If you had one sale one year and sold two the next up 100%.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
Don't misunderstand, not saying Harley is dead and Polaris is taking over. Just pointing out that Harley stated in the doc I had attached that they were hurt by aggressive discounting by competitors, and there could be a connection.

You make a good point, though. You can't compare percentage increases or decreases across companies, only actual numbers would matter. I don't recall seeing Polaris' actuals, just percentages. Interesting that they were not hurt by exchange rates or weather or any of the other excuses HD gave, though.

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
I think HD is just fine and it is smart to base production on demand. always have just a few less bikes than demand and profits will soar.

·
But working on it...
53 Posts
Don't misunderstand, not saying Harley is dead and Polaris is taking over. Just pointing out that Harley stated in the doc I had attached that they were hurt by aggressive discounting by competitors, and there could be a connection.

You make a good point, though. You can't compare percentage increases or decreases across companies, only actual numbers would matter. I don't recall seeing Polaris' actuals, just percentages. Interesting that they were not hurt by exchange rates or weather or any of the other excuses HD gave, though.
KB, great document and based on my experience in the manufacturing industry, very insightful and imformative. HD is not making excuses just recognizing the many conditions that affect sales. What's always missing in these conversations and comparisons is actual net profit. That is the key indicator to success. You also have to remember the millions of dollars a company reinvest in their operations that also affect the bottom line. For me HD is alive and well and has not lasted in business for over 100 years on their good looks. Long live the this American "ICON".

1 - 20 of 43 Posts