Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
The Smart Security System has gone bonkers over the last two weeks.

The bike is a 2009 Nightster.

The system is a fob with no buttons, and I have no pin entered and no horn integrated. It is bone-stock, OEM as purchased.

For a couple of weeks it has not been disengaging as normal.
I have to turn the ignition on and off a couple of times for it to stop the silly turn signals from flashing and for the starter to engage.

Well, this morning (at 04:40 AM !) it decided not to disengage at all - no matter how many times I turned it on and off.
That is, the turn signals keep flashing and the starter will not engage.

This is what it is like - but not a cause that I know of:
Imagine if the fob were battery operated and the battery were dying. It would slowly stop recognizing it and then stop working altogether.

I realize that is probably not the case - but it is a perfect illustration of the stupid behavior of this stupid system.

(Yes, I am frustrated....)

Is this a job for my dealer?
If so, it'll have to be towed or hauled there.

Any suggestions?

TIA,
Matt

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Have you replaced the key fob battery?

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
You have the exact same symptoms my 09 Softail had with the exact same system. Replace the battery and I am sure your problem will go away.................

I have to turn the ignition on and off a couple of times for it to stop the silly turn signals from flashing and for the starter to engage.

This is the slow sign of the battery going.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You have the exact same symptoms my 09 Softail had with the exact same system. Replace the battery and I am sure your problem will go away.................

This is the slow sign of the battery going.
Thanks.
I didn't even know it had a battery - and assumed that it was one of these new things that didn't need one (kind of like the easy-pass, smart-pass toll road systems for our cars....)

I will check into that this afternoon.

Will it simply be a matter of popping off the fob cover?
And I guess I should stop by the HD dealer on the way to pick up a battery?

Thanks again.

·
Killer of Souls
10,861 Posts
+1 change fob battery

Should be a button battery any hardware or drug store should have. Not a dealer only item.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Thanks.
I didn't even know it had a battery - and assumed that it was one of these new things that didn't need one (kind of like the easy-pass, smart-pass toll road systems for our cars....)

I will check into that this afternoon.

Will it simply be a matter of popping off the fob cover?
And I guess I should stop by the HD dealer on the way to pick up a battery?

Thanks again.
Hey Bro just so you know the EZ Pass and Smart-pass tags do have batteries also and the tags have to be replaced when they stop working....

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
It is a CR 2032 availble everywhere batteries are sold. A quater in the little slot on the side of the case of the FOB pops it open.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Bro just so you know the EZ Pass and Smart-pass tags do have batteries also and the tags have to be replaced when they stop working....
No!

Guess I'll learn though, when mine run out!

I thought I'd read that they were batteryless now.

(that the energy from the beam pointed at your car/pass contained the energy to communicate/activate your passive pass....)

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,068 Posts
Its a real PIA but now you know why you should put a code in the bike. If it ever did that on the road you'd be screwed. I did mine per the owner's manual, now have the card in my wallet. So if the battery dies or I lose my fob I can override the alarm and get her home.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Its a real PIA but now you know why you should put a code in the bike. If it ever did that on the road you'd be screwed. I did mine per the owner's manual, now have the card in my wallet. So if the battery dies or I lose my fob I can override the alarm and get her home.
GotGold - or anyone else for that matter -

By doing this, can I just turn the thing off permanently - or do I have to have the dealer disconnect it?

Either way, I'll do what you say and stick in the PIN code.

TIA,
Matt

·
Retired citizen
21,786 Posts
To dis the security system you need to replace the ECM and TSM. I suggest just getting used to the security system and program a pin into it.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Service manual says to replace the batt yearly. It saves headaches later. You can leave the fob somewhere on the bike saddlebag under seat etc. I don't see the big deal of carrying the thing. No one is going to ride off on your bike without it.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I don't think it is necessary to replace yearly. Mine seem to last about 3 years. I see these batteries all the time at the dollar stores. Brand names like Eveready Enegizers with use by dates 5 years out. The best thing is change the pin code to something you remeber.

I would NEVER remove the TSSM for a TSM and pay the dealer to reprogram the ECM. Why pay $$$ to remove a level of theft deterent????

I once dropped off the V Rod to the wife at her job and picked up her car. Forgot to leave the FOB, she is NOT very co ordinated or technical. She went thru the sequence to use the pin and was sucessful on the first try. If she can do it ANYBODY can.

·
Registered
1 Posts
SSS Gone Bonkers

Hi,
The Smart Security System has gone bonkers over the last two weeks.

The bike is a 2009 Nightster.

The system is a fob with no buttons, and I have no pin entered and no horn integrated. It is bone-stock, OEM as purchased.

Well, this morning (at 04:40 AM !) it decided not to disengage at all - no matter how many times I turned it on and off.
That is, the turn signals keep flashing and the starter will not engage.

This is what it is like - but not a cause that I know of:
Imagine if the fob were battery operated and the battery were dying. It would slowly stop recognizing it and then stop working altogether.

I realize that is probably not the case - but it is a perfect illustration of the stupid behavior of this stupid system.

(Yes, I am frustrated....)

Is this a job for my dealer?
If so, it'll have to be towed or hauled there.

Any suggestions?

TIA,
Matt
Change the battery in the FOB...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts