Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2005 softail and was cranking the engine. It didn't start immediately and was cold from not running for a week. White smoke came from uner the seat in the vicinity of the battery and then the electrical system shut down. The ignition lights and other electrical components do not operate. It seems like a short occurred or other component fried while cranking the engine. The battery is one month old and connected to battery tender. Any suggestions?

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,476 Posts
Well, generally speaking, all electrical devices are powered by smoke. You let the smoke get out, thus it won't work.

Seriously, the smoke, as you describe it, likely was insulation frying. I'd pull that seat and see how much toast you need to scrape the carbon from.

·
Banned
1,357 Posts
Just need to take a look under there. Maybe a battery connection was loose and it got hot enough to burn a main fuse.

As said, you should be able to see the damage.

No matter how bad it is to lose the smoke from an electrical component it's still better than letting the noise out of a mechanical one!

·
Registered
39,570 Posts
No matter how bad it is to lose the smoke from an electrical component it's still better than letting the noise out of a mechanical one!
Indeed. Ive seen kits to replace the magic smoke to electrical components, but Ive never seen a kit to replace the noise back into blown motors. :(

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,476 Posts
Made by Lucas....now that's funny!

·
Banned
1,357 Posts
Years ago I saw replacement smoke you ordered by color.

Sorry for the derail....

OP-Who installed the battery? There is a copper crush washer that should be in the connection.

·
Registered
163 Posts
If battery is one month old, this tells me it was recently installed. I'd check the install and find out what shorted out.

Funny, I let the smoke out of a Fiat in Germany in the early 70's, had to junk it. Didn't know I could buy replacement smoke.

·
Registered
336 Posts
1. Is one of the wires going to the battery rubbing the frame? you couldn't get a short curly between the frame of mine and the wires. maybe one is rubbed through?
2. What did you eat for lunch?

·
On the loose
8,699 Posts
Check your battery with a meter 1st thing , see if you got any voltage , it may have had a dry or bad cell in which case you should be entitled to a free replacement being that new .

·
Wayward Son
23,318 Posts
Besides what has already been stated.
Just curious. How long none stop did you crank the bike for?

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,114 Posts

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
This thread is a riot.

·
Registered
12,005 Posts
Besides what has already been stated.
Just curious. How long none stop did you crank the bike for?
Then it might be starter smoke eh ?

Get seat off battery and electrical are right there.

·
Wayward Son
23,318 Posts
Then it might be starter smoke eh ?

Get seat off battery and electrical are right there.
Starter :dunno

If a connection is a little loose running juice through it can cause it to get pretty hot. May\can smoke.
Was always told not to run the starter more then a few revolutions\seconds or you risk making some things a bit crispy.

·
Banned
1,357 Posts
The wiring for the starter circuit, if engineered as well as the jap bikes, should be able to handle the current for long cranking times. A loose connection will cause the heat, smoke and eventual open circuit.

One thing to remember about these engines, they DO require a lot of cranking amps. I bought a less expensive battery and I can tell the difference in my bike when cranking. With the harley battery my stereo would stay on during cranking and with this battery the radio shuts off when i crank it. No big deal to me, but just saying there is a difference the batteries.

·
Wayward Son
23,318 Posts
The wiring for the starter circuit, if engineered as well as the jap bikes, should be able to handle the current for long cranking times. A loose connection will cause the heat, smoke and eventual open circuit.
Was brought up not to crank and crank and crank.
Of course like other things, what one see`s as to much others see as normal\ok to do.

Yea. In colder weather it may take more to fire up. But I still do it in short bursts so to speak. 3 to maybe 5 revolutions. If it does`t start then maybe a twist or two of the throttle and try again.
But I am talking about a carbed bike. Not FI.

Would think an FI should fire first time every time after a few revolutions. IF everything else is right.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts