Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Without riding both of them,which motor is smoothest,Twincam or TwincamB.Then,how would that stack up to the rubber mounted 1200 Sporty.I've been riding Sportys forever,but now that the solid mount makes my arms numb from the shoulders down,it's time for a change.

·
Wayward Son
23,353 Posts
Just a thought. But cheaper then a new scoot unless you are really wanting a reason for a new bike. :know
Something as simple as changing bars, going taller may do the trick.
Cheaper and easier yet, swap out the rubber riser bushings for a set of polyurethane ones.

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
"Smoothest" is the opinion of the owner. Like most things Harley, we disagree among the "A" and "B" engines. My Electra Glide is very nice underway, but blurry vision at stoplights is a minor irritant.

·
Señor Member
19,668 Posts
My Electra Glide is very nice underway, but blurry vision at stoplights is a minor irritant.

I think this is the consensus among rubber mounted.

·
Acta Non Verba
2,093 Posts
Also depends on the specific model, touring bikes are glassy smooth underway, Dynas are not, they have a sweet, smooth range but, anything outside that range can get a little vibey. Softies are smooth till you get to the higher RPMs where they can get a little buzzy and you give up corning clearance with the Softails.

Just like bikes from any other manufacturer, they all have done amount of vibration, you have to decide which fits you best.

I didn't comment on sportys because I haven't ridden a rubber mount model. But, the old ones could be rough...

·
Señor Member
19,668 Posts
Also depends on the specific model, touring bikes are glassy smooth underway, Dynas are not, they have a sweet, smooth range but, anything outside that range can get a little vibey. Softies are smooth till you get to the higher RPMs where they can get a little buzzy and you give up corning clearance with the Softails.

Just like bikes from any other manufacturer, they all have done amount of vibration, you have to decide which fits you best.

I didn't comment on sportys because I haven't ridden a rubber mount model. But, the old ones could be rough...

This is an excellent point. Let me clarify that my statement applies to touring models.

·
Outlaw Nipple Poster
2,872 Posts
Well, at stoplights I like the vibration. It separates my figs and cools them off.

·
Registered
141 Posts
The B is the smoother motor if comparing just the motors, they have a balance shaft because they are solid mount in the frame . The A motor is rubber mounted and doesn't need a balance shaft . As a practical matter the bikes will be about the same .

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
The B is the smoother motor if comparing just the motors, they have a balance shaft because they are solid mount in the frame . The A motor is rubber mounted and doesn't need a balance shaft . As a practical matter the bikes will be about the same .
One would think, but the B-motor which is a solid mount, transfers vibration into the frame, especially at some highway speeds. Constant complaints of floor board "buzzing" or vibration.

The FLH and FX bikes with the non-balanced engines are completely isolated in rubber and the "vibration" that's felt is mostly at idle, when the engine rocks in it's rubbour mounting.

I agree, in that standing alone, (No mounts at all) the B- is smoother. That's why the counter balanace shaft was added.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
One would think, but the B-motor which is a solid mount, transfers vibration into the frame, especially at some highway speeds. Constant complaints of floor board "buzzing" or vibration.

The FLH and FX bikes with the non-balanced engines are completely isolated in rubber and the "vibration" that's felt is mostly at idle, when the engine rocks in it's rubbour mounting.

I agree, in that standing alone, (No mounts at all) the B- is smoother. That's why the counter balanace shaft was added.
What would be the downside to a rubber-mounted counter-balanced ejgine im a touring frame?

Not complaining, just curious. Idle vibration doesn't bother me. I would not want to give up my smooth cruising for a smooth idle.

--

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
What would be the downside to a rubber-mounted counter-balanced ejgine im a touring frame?

Not complaining, just curious. Idle vibration doesn't bother me. I would not want to give up my smooth cruising for a smooth idle.

--

The added counterbalance robs you of a few revs. It won't wind as tight, in theory anyway.

It probably steals a horse or two, but otherwise, I don't see much difference. The rubber mounts might eliminate the"buzz" of the current Softail design.

Personally I like the idle shake. I spent a lot more money to be on a Harley. I want to feel like it! :)

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts
My rubber sporty vibrated more than I cared for, I replaced it with a Dyna low no comparison, to me nice and smooth can feel vibs at around 2500-3000 rpm, nothing alarming. love the bike handle well in conners and highway. I get get a little wind movement around 70-80mph so i just slow down.

·
Registered
5,046 Posts

--

If you mean "what would putting a B engine in a touring frame be like",
you can't do it. The motor mounts bolts on a B engine are horizontal, A motor mount bolts are vertical. Other differences also, but that's the biggie.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
If you mean "what would putting a B engine in a touring frame be like",
you can't do it. The motor mounts bolts on a B engine are horizontal, A motor mount bolts are vertical. Other differences also, but that's the biggie.
Thanks, but I didn't mean I wanted to do it--I was just wondering why the MoCo wouldn't want to do it. On the other hand, eliminating all vibration might not be good for business. Like most, I want my Harley to feel and sound like a Harley. Including the clunk when I shift it, lol.

--

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts
Thanks, but I didn't mean I wanted to do it--I was just wondering why the MoCo wouldn't want to do it. On the other hand, eliminating all vibration might not be good for business. Like most, I want my Harley to feel and sound like a Harley.
Including the clunk when I shift
it, lol.

--
What clunk? You may want that checked out.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
What clunk? You may want that checked out.
Not a problem clunk. The famous "normal" Harley clunk. I love the feel and the noises that various machines make when they are doing their job. It's their soul's way of expression--and that endears them to me. A completely silent machine may be well-engineered, but to me, it's like a blank canvas that has not had color applied to it yet. There's no expression.

Kinda like women.

--

·
Registered
147 Posts
thought I would try a 2012 goldwing very smooth you can balance a nickle on the tank at idle. problem is goldwing does nothing to reduce everyday stress it just builds. I traded the goldwing for a '14 limited the vibration mostely at idle shakes loose stress reduces blood pressure - everyone around me says I am a different person after a ride on the harley - ride on the goldwing made me edgey, parinoid, I would stomp around for an hour complaining about stupid stuff. the trade is going to extend my life. I would be looking for a way to increase vibration without loosing horsepower maybe remove the rubber from engine mounts or shave the heads get more compression?

·
Wayward Son
23,353 Posts
not a problem clunk. The famous "normal" harley clunk. I love the feel and the noises that various machines make when they are doing their job. It's their soul's way of expression--and that endears them to me. A completely silent machine may be well-engineered, but to me, it's like a blank canvas that has not had color applied to it yet. There's no expression.

--
^^this^^

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
. . . maybe remove the rubber from engine . . .
If you rigid-mounted that motor, you'd have to red thread lock every bolt on the bike and replace the broken motor mounts every 1,000 miles.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts